Max IV Chain Popping

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max IV Chain Popping

Max IV Chain Popping

I have a 1996 Max IV that I purchased about a year ago by one of the members here, Coyote. He did a lot of custom work on the Max and posted his rebuild on the site. Unfortunately, his custom work makes many of the manuals irrelevant when it comes to repairs or maintenance.

I'm happy with my purchase, but I have a question that I can't seem to figure out on my own and was seeking help. In the driver position, the rear left chain seems to be skipping when the machine is under stress. I know I need a new tension sprocket, but I also notice a bent support in the rear that is welded to the frame which makes tightening the chain impossible because I'll then be sprocket to sprocket.

I saw the post on straightening this piece, but I'm afraid I need a professional to do the work to ensure it is a long term fix. Is there anyone in the Atlanta, Georgia area (or within a 3 hour drive) that is familiar with Max IV's and would be interested in helping me get the machine back to top running condition? I'm considering buying a new chain, but I really don't think that is my issue.

I looked back at Coyote's build thread for your Max (http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...ss-coyote.html) and it looks like all of the chain, tensionors and sprockets are in the stock locations so I wouldn't rule out the manuals. They should still be relevant.

As for your chain, if you need a new tensionor then I would start there. I didn't quite understand which part is bend on your Max. Perhaps you can point it out in this photo:

Is it the rear of the frame that is bent? Is it the two, skinny side plates that hold the tensionor in place?

Thank you so much! The angle iron that is welded to the frame at the rear of the 6x6 which has the adjuster screw going through it is bent on both sides (see pic). Do you think because of the upgrades Coyote did to the 6x6 it created a lot more torque on this angle iron and caused it to bend? The popping sound only happens on the driver side even though both sides on the angle iron are bent. The popping only happens when under strain turning from a stop. What would cause this piece to bend? Could it be the upgrades? He put a 27hp engine in there,27x12x12 executioner tires, and a few other mods.

How can I fix this piece if it is welded to the frame? Is there a kit or any ideas on how to stiffen this up so it doesn't happen again?

Thank you so much!

Now I have to figure out how to send you the image!!! ahh

The modifications are most likely not the cause of the problem. Many of us are running 30-40HP motors and large tires without any issues when it comes to the tensionor adjustment angle iron.

Upload a photo to the gallery so we can see what you're working with: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/6x6-w...-pictures.html

Unless it's really bad, you can probably just remove the tensionors from the angle iron and use an adjustable wrench to bend it back into place.

djgeiman Guest
    lee,
    One tip DO NOT heat the metal to bend it that will just fatigue it and will not be as strong.I found on my machine(max IV) it is easier to take out the engine and engine stand or mount when working on the back area it gives you more room and saves alot of cussing and busted knuckles.
    Dave G.

Thank you. Well, I guess it's not too much torque and it sounds like that minor of a bend isn't causing the chain to pop over the sprocket. It's just weird that both sides of the angle bar are bent equally. Wonder if one of the shops who did service on my 6x6 tightened the chains too much causing them to bend. I've been searching the posts all day to see what would cause only (1) side to pop. I imagine it is either too much slack in the chains or a sprocket that is out of alignment. I've ordered new chains and tensioner sprocket where I see the bearing is almost shot to start.

Do you have any other suggestions that might make the chain pop under tension?
    Or, how much slack should be in the chains between the transmission? How much slack should be in the chains driving the axel's?

I really appreciate the help!

Last edited by Leerpurcell; 01-13-2015 at 07:38 PM.

djgeiman Guest
    I would do what Mike said it does not look that bad just loosen the bolt and put a adjustable wrench on it and bend it back

After reading most of this it seems to be a common problem with the IV's, I remember a couple rides with Drew where he had to adjust his mid ride. However if you see a bad bearing or sprocket on the idler, replace it first before you go chasing a ghost when the real thing is right there in front of you.
    After you bend the angle iron back perhaps you could double up the top side and bolt it together for strength ( if you could reverse a piece of angle that would be nice) so it needs to bend both pieces as it looks like the bend may have thrown the idler out of whack a tad, not sure if anyone has done this but I have seen it on Attex front frame rails and seams to help, ta leat when the bend does happen it should have to bend down and not inward also.
    Good luck, Jim

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I've had the center axle work loose and slide back and forth causing the chain to jump teeth and make awful noises. The eccentric collar was broke on the outer bearing and loose on the inner.

Thank you all for your help and tips.

How would I know if my chains need to be replaced?
    How tight should the chain be running to each axel versus the chain running off the transmission?

+ Reply to Thread