1970 Max II Restoration...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 1970 Max II Restoration...

Congratulations on getting to test your Max out. I'm sure that only motivates you more to get it done.

That's for sure... Got my universal throttle cable that I got on eBay in the mail today... Driving it is even more fun with the throttle easily controlled.. Been working out little bugs and stuff on it.. Retightened all the chains as expected, and been enjoying it. Even with leaving the factory 2 stroke spring in the driven clutch, it's still got a lot of torque.. Buut I had my first breakdown tonight.. Turns out that when I put the axles back in, I forgot to tighten back down a few of the lock collars... Had the right rear axle start coming out, causing the chain to break going to it.. Luckily, it didn't fully slide off of the inner bushing, and I didn't tear too much up.. When I replaced all of the chain, I made sure to make an extra spare, so no big deal.. I'll just have to go buy some more chain next trip out of town I make..

Hi,I don't own any R.I. machines but I think that wing of the asylum uses these split collars to keep the axles from floating in and out.

McMaster-Carr

Those eccentric collars on the bearings,in my opinion,are not very good at locking the shaft down. I'm still very challenged by the search function but if you use it,there's info on how it's being done on this site.

JoeMeg, thanks for the reply.. I got the axle locked down before I posted the update, as I've dealt with these locking collars before on different things.. It was simply one of those things I overlooked when I was putting everything together, and forgot to do... Just proof to myself that one always needs to look over everything before finalizing that portion of assembly.. Normally I don't overlook parts of assembly, but I probably got interrupted while I was putting that axle in.. Oh well, no major harm done, and at least it gave me a reason to relook at all my axles and make sure all was well still..

Looks good, I am doing the same. Do you have a picture or diagram on how the sprockets/chains are laid out? I took mine apart 4 years ago and have forgotten
    Last edited by 6x6 Bryan; 09-02-2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling

6x6 Bryan, I sure can get you some pictures... Tomorrow I'll take some in the daylight.. Not sure if you're looking for any in specific, so I'll just do my best at taking pictures of all chains... I don't know if there is any differences between the old hollow axles like mine, versus the newer ones as far as sprocket and chain layout, but it should give you a basic idea of how they're laid out.. I only had my axles out for about 5 months an I still had forgotten how they went back in.. Had to stare at it for quite a few hours to figure it out..

+ Reply to Thread