1970 Max II Restoration...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1970 Max II Restoration...

1970 Max II Restoration...

Well guys, I figured it was finally time to start my restoration thread on my early Max.. It's number 2101 from RI.. Originally came with a 297 JLO engine in it, but I decided that since I'm not a 2 stroke person, to swap in a GX610 (18 HP) Honda engine I had laying around.. It was in really rough shape when I got it, but I looked past all of that to the potential of it after doing some research on this forum before I bought it.. As far as I've managed to trace the history on it, it was bought new by an oil field company about 12 miles from me, and then was sold to a local farmer who used it for a while before giving up on it due to issues with it and he got tired of it messing with it.. His son, one of my buddies then sold it to another one of our buddies who didn't really do anything with it besides cut the rotted original tires off the rims(not really sure what he was thinking there).. Anyways now on to me, I was looking for a project and asked my buddy if he still had it and if he'd wanna get rid of it, so I bought it for 50 bucks.. Yeah, according to my buddies, I'm the king of good deals around here.. I know, tires and such are expensive, but I've got good enough connections around I can get good used ones for cheap.. Sorry I don't really have more or better pictures of the before, but I always have sucked at taking before pics of my projects.. Other than the lateral linkages and the outer half of the axles being black, I'm putting it all back to original colors...
    Easily the worst crack on the entire project..

Nice hole in the bottom tub.. I think its from the sprocket coming loose.. Anyone else seen damage like this?

Test fitting the Honda that's massive compared to the JLO

Masking off to paint in the grill..

Finally set the frame back in the fixed tub.. Very nice feeling to be going back together..

First axle back in..
    Last edited by brunpup; 01-16-2015 at 02:15 AM.

good job.

Realy nice...very nice, keep us updated and thanks for sharing!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Nice machine great price. I did a lot of work in the kitchen on my first 6x6. Good luck

Looks like it's going nicely. Hard to beat the price. I'm sure the replacement parts are costing more than the cost of the machine. It is nice that you had an engine on hand, though.

Thank you for sharing.

Thank for all the kind words so far guys.. And actually, so far I haven't had to replace any parts... I don't think the machine ever had many hours on it, or it was really well maintained... Not even the bearings need replacing... There's no wear whatsoever on the inner bushings on the axles, and peering inside the trans, the bands look like original thickness still... I think the reason the farmer quit using it was because of the two stroke giving him fits... It even still has great compression and all, and the only thing I found wrong there was the carb was outta whack tuning wise... Hard to say.. Either way I've still had a really fun, yet frustrating at times build so far.. Mocked up the engine a couple hours ago, and trying to figure out exactly where it needs to be... I found on here that center to center should be about 13 inches on the clutches.. Can anyone chime in and tell me if that's right for a four stroke machine with Comet 780's? Thanks again guys..

12.5-13 sounds correct, the belt for the 297 was shorter though so you may want to get the 4 stroke belt before any bolting in to be safe.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Well guys, since it's been a few months since the last update I gave you guys, I figure its about time for me to provide you all with some more restoration pics. I got all of the axles put in, sealed up, and the chains all ran. I ended up deciding to replace all the axle chains since I had it apart. Since I was buying the chain in boxes with 10 ft lengths in each box from Orschelns (13.99 a box, good chain) I was able to only have to buy 3 boxes and will be able to have a spare chain with me at all times on the machine. I got the transmission adjusted, bolted in, and connected to the laterals. Since I had accidentally broken the original throttle cable inside its casing, I bought some more throttle cable to feed through the casing and replaced it. Started drawing up wiring diagrams, and finally decided on a design that I liked, and put it in my binder of everything for my 6x6 build. Merging the Honda harness that I bought from Nubs on here, and the original harness that I got with my machine with some minor modifications.

Here I have everything all put in as I said above, just need to cut and weld up my motor mounts, and bolt in the engine, and it will be done finally.. I bought special "push mount" zip ties from Napa, and used them to mount the harness just like the factory did.

Here I have the regulator all mounted, and you can see part of the wiring harness that I made. If anyone needs help with figuring out the wiring for a Honda conversion, I can upload the wiring diagram that I made.

Here is a good overhead shot showing how I have my harness routed and mounted from the tub to the frame. I used the original holes the harness was mounted to from the factory, and ran the harness between the battery and frame, to just past the Forward/Reverse lever, over to the regulator, and then back to the engine, running under the transmission and battery. A 25 amp fuse protects the entire circuit. As you can tell by some of the wiring tools still sitting on the tub, I just got the wiring all figured out before I took the pictures.

Here's just my nice little touch that I made to the harness, so I can pull the engine out a lot quicker and simpler. I used a connector kit that I got with a project truck, but it can be bought from radio shack. This connector contains all of the wires going to the engine, and still has enough open spots that I can add more wires to it for other things if needed.

Nice rebuild. Looking good. Can you share a bit of info on the chain? Brand? Tensile strength? 530 O-ring?
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread