Max Iv for flooded ag crops

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max Iv for flooded ag crops

SE Texas Just between the piney woods and the Gulf of Mexico

Max Iv for flooded ag crops

Working on getting my 4 wheeler sold to fund the purchase of a Max 4.

I am looking for input as to the performance of that machine in flooded rice and fallow fields with a maximum depth of maybe 2ft...unless you hit a tractor rut.

It wont be all standing water....there will be rice stubble and other grasses in the mix as well. The grass is what destroyed the cv boots on my wheeler last yr.

With two kiddos that want to go duck hunting with me a 4 wheeler just cant haul the gear and people in one run...thats why I'm leaning toward the 6x6.

This may seem silly but I am looking at it from a longevity standpoint as well kinda thinking the K.I.S.S. method...I believe I can handle chains, bearings, sprockets and stuff over the electronic AWD system on my wheeler.

In that sort of terrain I can't imagine it being worse than the 4x4. No CV boots to worry about and the Max will certainly haul more stuff than the quad. Just make sure you get one with a sound belly and good seals/bearings and a big enough engine to haul whatever. Depending on the size load you have, they have some nifty ATV trailers out there with wide tires also. I have one and they work great for that sort of terrain. Give use some feedback with pics for sure. Good luck
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

image.jpgI bought an Argo Big Foot for that exact reason this year. I can now drive right up to the blind with ease and unload drive away. No Problem at all. What I did find is when the water started getting low it was not as easy spinning in the pudding. So that being said I am very pleased with it. Also I would pull the wrapped rice from around the axels every couple outings.
    Last edited by Tahoe; 01-25-2015 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Added Picture

A Max 4 will work fine in your environment, you'll be amazed at the performance when compared to a 4 wheeler.

I'd stick with a machine that has solid, splined axles, and at least 20hp, 25hp would be even better, chances are unless you get a new machine you won't find one with more than 25hp on the used market. The good news is a Max 4 can fit just about any popular tires up to 26x13x12 and maybe larger.

Where you located txpirogue?

Noel I'm just North of Beaumont

You??

An hour or so East of Dallas.

Ok so for tires...

Since i wont be doing a whole bunch...if any swimming with the machine, am I better off with a slightly aggressive mud style that has some sort of chevron pattern...maybe a Vampire ASX?

I'd love to but some of those big 16" wide Vendettas on it...but daaaang thats some dough for rubber

I would think you would mainly be swimming with the machine especially if the fields have 1-2ft of water. At the least, you will be forging water. I would look for something that is a good performer in the water. This is the one time I would lean towards getting a Max IV with the 26" Terra Tires.

Terra tires will be more than sufficient for this application as Mike advised. There are many so equipped Max4s out there, and you can always upgrade to Vendettas or ASXs later on if the need comes up.

I think Terra tires are a fine all around tire, my main criticism of them is that they ride rough, and are hard on sprockets, bearings and chains, as well as the back.

You may be able to find a machine on the cheap, usually they are lacking maintenance and may upon close inspection be a basket case. These machines take a fair amount of upkeep and you will have to drop some bucks from time to time.

I've found a couple machines I want to look at , but they are both about 3-4 hours from here.
    I'm not in a big rush....but I would like to find one and get all the kinks worked out by the time teal season rolls around in Sept.
    I really appreciate all the info guys...

My brother and both grandfathers were mechanics....I know just enough to be dangerous!

I'm looking forward to having something in the driveway to turn a wrench on in the evenings after work.

+ Reply to Thread