Yes...another Max IV axle/bearing thread...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yes...another Max IV axle/bearing thread...

Yes...another Max IV axle/bearing thread...

So....working on a 1988 Max IV. I have most of it torn apart, and am cleaning and refurbishing everything that I can.

This is what I've got:

Hollow axles that are quite rusted on the outside of the tub. I was hoping to get away with not having to buy new, but I'm not sure that will work out. The inner and outer bearing collars are stuck good, so I cut the first axle out so that I could dissect the bearings, etc to understand what I need.

My questions are:

1. Given the year, I thought the inners would be bushings, but they appear to be bearings. They are mounted in the same type of 4-hole flanges that the outside bearings are mounted in. Is this factory, or have these been refitted sometime in the past 27 years

2. Unfortunately, I think I will need to replace all 6 axles, but want to stick with non-splined so that I can reuse my sprockets and save some expense. Thoughts?

As usual, this is getting expensive

Just cut all 6 out and I'll sell you a good used set I got laying around.

Seriously though, don't cut them unless you really have to. The way I get them out is to unbolt the axle pin and then both sets of flanges. Next spot the flanges apart to reveal the bearing. No this part is very technical, you have to take a big hammer and smash the bearing. From this point you should have just enough room to cut the inner race of the inner bearing off the axle. Cut on both sides very close to the axle and then use a chisel to split it into two halves. Now you can fight with pulling the sprocket off. I suggest using a slide hammer fitted to the axle hub. If you can get the sprocket off you are home free. All you have to do is cut the inner race of the outer bearing off and clean up your axles. I hope I have explained this well. I use the same technique on Attex axles as well. Someday I will make a video.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Alrighty...I give it a try. But do you have an old set laying around?

Man those sprockets look plum worn out. I bet the bearings are all shot. Such is the state of many machines you find out there.

I bet that someone replaced the bearings over the years, they wear out pretty quickly. Most machines will require an overhaul if not well maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Hiker View Post
    Alrighty...I give it a try. But do you have an old set laying around?
    Yes I do have a set of 6 axles for a Max IV laying around. Where are you located? Shipping costs a fortune sometimes, but it would still be way cheaper than buying new and shipping. If your close, I may be able to work them to you some how if you end up needing them. I don't have many max IV parts left right now. I think it's just the 6 axles and an engine stand.

I'm in Frederick, MD, so shipping might not be too hateful. I really appreciate the offer! I will definitely need one, but let me get in touch with you once I have the other 5 out. I'll see how many get damaged and make a decision on staying with 62mm or replacing everything with splined. BTW- are yours solid or hollow?

I thinks they are solid, but it's been a few weeks since I have tripped over them. If you update to splined, z240 (Tony) can probably help you out with a set of splined axles way cheaper than anywhere else.

I've got to agree with Noel,that's a lot of work to go through to put those sprockets back in.just saying.

I'm replacing mine too. Jest remember to put you bearing locks on right. I jest had to redo mine.

Judging by the year of your machine your bolt pattern would match an Argos and that's a real upgrade if you use their bearing flanges instead of the maxs
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

+ Reply to Thread