Horse power for tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Horse power for tracks

U.P. of Michigan full time as of 9/1/2017

Horse power for tracks

looking at a 2003 max iv with tracks. like the machine but it only has an 18hp engine. how hard is it to put in a new vanguard 29hp or can you even do that?? thanks drb

In Michigan out annoying the neighbors in something that has a motor in it!
    That depends on how handy you are with a coming up with mods, and using a wrench and welder!
    We put a Kubota 27hp 3cylinder gas in my MaxIV last spring.
    My biggest gripe about the MaxIV was that they put the T20 under the engine stand, getting to the jackshaft chains were brutal.
    We moved the T20 forward and put the battery under the stand.
    The trouble with retirement is.... I never get a day off !!!!

I have several friends with tracked max 4s with the 18 hp Briggs. They get around except in powder snow. I would look into the kohler command pro or pro EFI for a swap. Factory is using them now and parts will be available. There is no substitute for horsepower with tracks , go to at least 25 if you swap it out.

msafi65, do you need the extra power to get up on the powder snow?

guys, I'm not a mechanic. are new engines a reasonably close to a drop in project?

Depending on how handy you are, you could do a direct swap to a newer Kohler or Kawasaki injected engine using factory parts.
    If really handy the sky is the limit.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

plumCrazy, I'm certainly not up to the replacement you did. wish i had that kind of talent. thanks for your comments. I may have to live with the smaller engine. drb

ARGOJIM, where do i go for factory type parts and the engine? drb

The soft snow requires more power than snow that packs down and gives you some footing. An engine swap in one of these vehicles could be done with all factory parts but requires mechanical skills and basic understanding of wiring. I see a kohler swap with new engine, belt , clutch(for larger crankshaft),exhaust system costing $2000+.
    If the briggs is good its worth selling to recover some bucks. Might look at vehicle with bigger motor or just try the 18 for a few months and see. Hope this helps make up your mind.

msafi65, thanks for the info. probably will have to live with the 18 for awhile.drb

+ Reply to Thread