Burning sweet smell after a hard ride

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burning sweet smell after a hard ride

Burning sweet smell after a hard ride

Hi all. So i was out enjoying the snow tonight and after about a 15 minute ride at continuous full throttle driving i went back home. When i pulled the machine into the garage I noticed a sweet burning smell. It smelled different from engine exhaust, more like burning tranny fluid. I looked and did not see any tranny fluid and the T20 case was not hot. Anyone ever had this happen before? Thanks.
    Pat

Radiator leak?

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-12-2016 at 09:15 AM.

its trans fluid , look closer

Thanks all. I checked the parking brake, not it, but thank you for the suggestion Bridget. No radiator on the Briggs 18 hp, still no trans fluid in the tub. Could it be getting burned up in the T20 from friction on the drums? The machine rolls nice in neutral so i dont believe I am dragging a band. All the fluids were just changed so i know that the trans has adequate lubrication. This one has me stumped.

HI
    This happened to me a few years ago. I was always smelling a sweet smell after long driving and going across my lake. After my T20 broke a band I had to open it up and 1 drum was AFU and all my bands were worn out bad. I now assume that the sweet smell was the start of the T20 failing after rebuilding it. My T20 ran perfect for 2 years smelling the sweet smell. then the band broke internally

personally I would open it up and take a look. if all is good then great, if not then maybe you can catch something before it goes bad..

my 2 cents.

Larry

I smell that all the time with the cab on. I used to have the same thing with the cab on my 18 horse as well. Neither of them leaked trans fluid nor did I have any problems with them.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Hi Pat,

How easily does it roll with the tranny in forward or reverse with the sticks in the neutral position? I think that might be the proper way to check if the bands are dragging (over-tightened).
    Banned

Simple try if you think it's the trans, on level ground pull the top plug to see of overfull. Could be trying to find "it's own level", next be sure the plug vents.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks guys. Ill try what you have suggested. Really dont want to pull another t20. That process really stinks without an overhead winch or come along. Those v twins are heavy when you lift em out by hand.
    Famous last words: I swear honey... I am just going to change the tranny fluid. I won't tear this one apart...

+ Reply to Thread