Chain wobble

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chain wobble

Ogdensburg, NY mailing but live in Morristown, New York

Question Chain wobble

Hello everyone. I have a 1996 Max II. I noticed a noise (clicking) in the left front chain area. A few months ago I replaced the chain tensioners with the new type that has a bolt and nylon bushing ( from Richard's Relics ). I removed the front floor panel, jacked up the machine, and set the wheels in motion. The chain tension on the right is fine. The one on the left seems to be o.k. but when the chain is in motion I notice a slight left and right wobble in the (left chain) at the front. I wonder what is causing this and how to correct it. Please help. Thank you.

Check your sprocket holes to make sure they are not wallowed out. Ensure that your axle pin is "body bound" (search for meaning if needed). Finally make sure that you bearing collars are locked and not busted on the bearing.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

OK will check that thank you. One more thing, just loosened the chain tensioner and hand rotated wheels so that the front sprocket rotates 360 degrees. Odd thing - every 360 degree rotation there is a distinct squeak noise at one part of the rotation - kind of like a squeaking door noise.

Sounds like it's time for new bearings. Jack her up and check for play in the axles at the bearings. You probably have inner bushings that are bad as well.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thank you Amphibious drew. Appreciate the help. Hope your day is great.

yeah, sounds like a bearing. had the same squeek on mine and took awhile to realize it was a bearing. when i had the bearing out, i could rotate it in my hand and feel one spot where there was friction. but when i shook the wheel, there was no play in the bearing. good luck. johnboy va.

You guys are great - thank you so much.

Hate to muddy the water but there have some new discovery. I had a friend come over to assist me check out the problem. He does some machinist work. Had good lighting this time, the machine was on jacks and the shroud was up. The left front wheel was off. He did an inspection and noticed a few things. Previously, I had mention that the machine was pulling slightly to the left. After examining the right front brake, he noticed that it was slightly binding. I bought this machine used. Apparently there are some maintenance issues. He lubricated the moving parts, the brake freed up and that should take care of that. He also noticed some metal filings on the floor below some axles. We ran the machine and noticed the wobble in the left front chain only. Loosened the tensioner, shut the machine down and hand rotated the wheel. I had mentioned I heard a "click" noise that was quite loud. We lubricated some more areas and still, the noise. I happened to notice that at a certain point of a sprocket rotation, the click was apparent. It drove us nuts for a while trying to find exactly where it was coming from. It was not coming from the front of the machine like I had thought. He lubricated another spot next to the sprocket and hmmm, the noise stopped. He also noticed that a bolt had some rust where it had seemed to move - not "body bound." Upon examining the chain on the sprocket in the middle of the machine, the chain could be moved by hand and seemed to have a lot of play left and right on the sprocket, almost as if the chain was too big for the sprocket. The sprocket itself appears to be in good shape. It was getting late and so cold that we shut down for the night. Getting a bit overwhelmed at this point. Wonder if the bearing still could be an issue (he didn't think so) but then he doesn't know these machine like you fellas. Don't know if the chain should be replace and if so, with what size etc. Probably should also check chain and sprocket alignment. Any comments are appreciated. Thank you.

swamp, was the chain that could be moved by hand tight ? also like i said i had the same click noise. it echos some much down in the tub when i thought i had it pinpointed, then it seemed like it came from a different place. place your fingers on each wheel flange and slowly turn and try to feel any vibration. good luck. keep us posted. johnboy

+ Reply to Thread