What is causing this problem?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is causing this problem?

What is causing this problem?

I'm new to this forum, having just discovered it today. I own a Max II, most likely a 2002 or 2003. A loud sharp sporadic clunk on the left side was the first sign something was wrong. I used it sparingly after it developed this problem. Now that ice-fishing season is here, I started using it regularly. Now the clunk is still there, but I've also noticed that when I lock up the right track to turn, the left track does not have the power to push me around. This is especially bad in any kind of snow, but it barely makes the turn on an icy parking lot. I simply cannot drive it like this and I really need it to get to my ice fishing spots while the fishing is good and the ice great. I called the manufacturer and in the limited time the mechanic had to talk, he suggested the chain most likely needed to be tightened. He explained how and then I found a video on this site that shows it plain and clear. The mechanic also said it could be a couple of other problems, that I really didn't understand when he explained them to me. I also noticed that the machine pulls hard to the left and I constantly have to counter-steer to the right to keep going in the direction I intend to go. Anyone have some input on this? Thank you.

Adjust your chains and t-20. There is a video of how to do that on the site too. I suspect it may be time for new bearings as well. Hopefully it can get you through with a chain adjustment till spring, but I would look at the bearings and maybe order a new set of 12 just in case. Unfortunatly, the ease of a bearing job depends greatly on how much anti-seize was used during assembly. I personally paint everything with it and always suggest doing the same when you put it back together.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

When you're trying to make a right-hand turn (and your left-hand-side tires don't seem to have enough power to turn you), take a look down at the left side tires and see if they're actually spinning when you're trying to turn. Are all three on the left side spinning? Are only a couple spinning? I'm going on the assumption that if your machine is truly a 2002 or 2003 model year, it'll have the splined axles. If this is the case, it eliminates the potential for a broken axle pin that earlier models used. Like Drew and the factory rep mentioned, tighten your chains up a bit if they're loose. Even a loose chain will have a mechanical connection with the sprocket at some point, and if it's skipping over the sprocket teeth enough to cause a situation where it's affecting your steering THAT much, it'll make a continuous, horrendous noise. Remove your front floor board and the engine cover and take a good look at the jackshaft and the condition of all the sprockets and axles and check for any side-to-side movement on the sprockets, the axles and check the alignment of all of the chains on that side.

Also, do your laterals (steering sticks) have springs that hold them in the forward position? If so, try pushing a lot harder on that left lateral when you're making the turn. Go beyond just letting the springs do the work and PUSH into it like you mean it.

i have a max 4 and tried to place 26 inch tires on it and they will not fit. They will rub on the top part of the fender. What might be the problem? Any help would be great

Quote Originally Posted by mike61447 View Post
    i have a max 4 and tried to place 26 inch tires on it and they will not fit. They will rub on the top part of the fender. What might be the problem? Any help would be great
    Sag,sag,sag. Dang Sag!

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread