Max II RC Chain Assy loose

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max II RC Chain Assy loose

Ogdensburg, NY mailing but live in Morristown, New York

Max II RC Chain Assy loose

Hello again. I was examining all the chains on my 1996 Max II and noticed that the right side (passenger side) chain assembly - the vertical one is very loose. It appears as if you could remove a whole link to tighten it. I have no idea how it got like that as I bought the machine used and also had someone install a new engine last spring. The other parallel chains running the sprockets appear to have the correct tension. How can this be corrected - replacing the chain - adjusting the jackshaft ? If I make an adjustment to tighten this chain, what effect will it have on the other chains? Looking for advice. Thank you.

This should help, go to the how to section, under general category, select this:
    Adjusting Chains and Jackshafts on a Max II

Hey Swamp,
    I almost did the same thing with mine. When I was tightening the vertical jackshaft after installing new chain I found out I had one link too many. A simple link counting exercise gone bad. After correcting the problem things tightened up nicely. Keep in mind, if the chain is relatively new, you may have to tighten it a couple more times as all the chain stretches after some running time. Chain quality comes in to play here also. This is a must do, as it effects the life of your sprockets. I installed Diamond chain in the last Max lV I had and only had to tighten the chains once that I can remember. As far as the side affect of tightening that one, if I remember right, it should only affect the chain coming directly from the tranny to the jackshaft. The other short horizontal chain up top. It may need a little attention. Mine did, but very little. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. Take Noels advice and check out the how-to's on it. It's fairly simple once you get the hang of it.
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...ft-max-ii.html. Here ya go swamp. Mike did a great vid presentation on this. Hope it helps
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

Thank you for the quick response and advice. Everyone here is a great team. I hope sometime I will learn enough to be as much help to others. Have a great day.

Last evening I counted the links - same number on both sides. The chains are not new. Looks like an awful lot of adjusting - hope there is room. Daylight now. Hopefully will get to it today. Will review the video of jackshaft adjustments.

Hey Swamp,
    Check the chain carefully. Assuming it was tightened properly when initially installed, it may be time for new chain if it actually requires that much adjustment. For those 4 particular drive chains I would definately get some high quality stuff. They get jerked around pretty hard during use.

Thanks Outlaw. I did check the height of the adjusting bolts on the left side. The jackshaft seems to be higher and thus, the chains are tighter on that side. Can't imagine how they could have been adjusted differently but then, who knows how someone else took care of the machine. Just watched the video again on adjusting chains and jackshaft. That "click or clunk" noise I had been hearing. I noticed that the vertical roller chain was so loose that the chain was slapping and causing the noise. Had moved the wheels back and forth while suspended. Thanks again.

Obviously the prior owner only turned left. If it was loose enough to slap the bulkhead panel forward of it, it's new chain time.
    Glad we could help

The good news is that the Max2 has a lot of take-up available. I'm still amazed at the half-shaft adjustment and how much it can take up, still a good design to this day.

If the system allows too much slack, it will be time to replace some chain.

+ Reply to Thread