Max IV Bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max IV Bearings

Max IV Bearings

Guys, I am replacing everything I need to replace on my max, I just pulled all the wheels and tires off and the front chains, my question is, how do I tell if the bearings are wore out? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replace 'em

Bearings are cheap so go ahead and replace them. Trust me the bearing cost far outweighs the effort of having to go back in and completely dissemble the machine when you find out afterwards that they are bad.

To answer your question though, the bearings are roller bearings so anything other than minor and I mean a few thousandths worth of slop is indicative of a worn out bearing. So assuming you have the wheels off and the machine elevated, grab each of the axle flanges and lift it up and down, looking at both the inboard (assuming you have a newer Max) and outboard bearings. If you can lift the axle up and down the bearings are toast. Keep in mind that these bearings are sealed and are what prevents water from gushing into your hull when swimming.

I think that once you have everything apart you'll realize that you don't want to go back in and do the bearings later. I finished up a '95 Max IV last year, a total frame off resto. I replaced all bearings (Call Buffalo bearings and mention this site for a discount), bearing retainers (they were rusty and bent), all drive sprockets since they were shark finned, all the chains due to the new sprockets, the idlers or tensioners, the brake bands, the drive belt with the correct belt from RI, and every single piece of hardware. The chassis, the ROPS, and just about every other component that could be powder coated was powder coated. I didn't keep good track of my expenditures but I would estimate that I spent about $2K for my resto.

There are tons of articles on here to help you. Use the search engine. Good luck and more importantly.....have fun with it.

Ok thanks, I don't think they are worn but I will go ahead a replace them anyway, as soon as I find the how to article on it haha. Im sure ill have more questions pretty soon. By the way its a 1996 Max IV.

There are quite a few articles on here about the Max bearing replacement. You can also look on Richards Relics for additional how to info.

Replacing the bearings is the easy part, its getting everything else out and back in that the pain in the arss.

Have fun with it and hopefully you don't find any problems once you get in there. If you do, post your question and you'll get an answer.

I just got my max 4 stripped last night for bearing and chain replacement. Still have to order the cork gaskets(anyone know a good place to get these)? And bearings. Already got all the new oring chain from mfg supply..
    Attached Images

Drew if your lookin, do you still have your old solid max 4 axles? You coming to Busco?

Cork gaskets

I didn't use any gaskets, instead I followed Mike's (the admin) instructions and used the 3M putty strips available in auto supply place. Following his instructions obviously takes a little more time but I didn't have to find or make any gaskets either. And I have not had any leakage issues either so this technique appears to work pretty well.

Here is Mike's thread with pix and video; http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...placement.html
    Last edited by rickemd1; 03-17-2015 at 04:54 AM. Reason: add thread

Yes,the 3M Strip-caulk is great stuff!

Got it.. Thanks guys..

Quote Originally Posted by Normable1973 View Post
    Drew if your lookin, do you still have your old solid max 4 axles? You coming to Busco?
    I wasn't looking until now. Jeff said he was contacting you. I got 6 axles still, but I'm not going to Busco. If anyone from buffalo is going, I may be able to shuffle them around in time.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread