Chain loosening after use.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chain loosening after use.

Chain loosening after use.

Forgive me if I do not have the terminology correct, as I am new to Max products and I don't know the names of all the parts. I continually have to tighten the left rear horizontal drive chain (?) on my 2003 Max II. The chain becomes extremely loose and I believe it is because the tensioner (?) will not stay locked in place once I slide it vertically to a position that tightens the chain. It then makes a horrific "popping" sound and compromises the power that goes to the left track. By compromises, I mean if the right track is locked to turn, especially in snow, etc., the left track cannot power the Max through the turn. I believe it is because the chain becomes so loose it is skipping teeth on the sprocket. During the turn is when it makes the popping sound. If I then tighten the track, this problem goes away, until I drive it through the deep snow again and then the chain becomes loose once more. If I avoid soft snow and just drive it on hard-pack or ice (fishing), this is not so much a problem and it takes much longer for the chain to loosen. Is the tensioner (?) worn and because of this it will not stay locked in position to keep the chain tight when under load? Is the chain too long? Where can I get parts to replace the chain or tensioner if this is indeed the problem? The other chains (right side horizontal and vertical chains) stay tight and do not appear to be a problem. I also want to replace my windshield due to scratches, which makes it hard to see through it especially on sunny days or at night. I'm also having a lot of trouble shifting from reverse to forward and back to reverse. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Thank you.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    So, your chain and track are both alternately loosening? Could be(sounds as though) you may have some loose/bad bearings. The chain loosening could be the tensioner, but if the track is also loosening, that points to loose/bad bearings, allowing the axle to move and the chain to slack. If it were only the chain tensioner, I'm fairly certain the track would not get loose.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

I'd put the machine up on blocks, put the drain plugs in, and put a few gallons of water in. The leaky bearing should become evident. With any luck, it would be the front axle (easiest to get to).

If you replace one, you don't necessarily have to replace them all. However when the bearings start to go, you usually get the shark finning effect on the sprockets, which in turn effects chain as well. At this point you will have to investigate further.

not sure why tightening the track tightens the chain ? but it does sound like either the left rear or center bearing may be bad. but the tensioners also can wear to the point that when tension is put on them, the '' teeth '' won't hold. could be that spring on the tensioner is broken. others will give some guidance too. one parts max / mudd ox dealer is 605 775 2917. good luck. let us know what you discover. johnboy va.

I don't understand why two of you are assuming the track is loosening also. Maybe I gave that impression by my original post. I believe the left track cannot power my Max into a turn when the right track is locked because the chain loosens and is skipping teeth on the sprocket. The chain is really loose, not just a little, which I believe would cause this. But I am a novice with this machine, but it appears that way. Each time the chain loosens the tensioner is also loose and has slipped from its position where I put it when I tightened the chain previously. I am going try to replace the tensioner and go from there. What I plan on doing is finding a shop that can go over my Max with a fine tooth comb and solve all the minor issues. I live in the northern most part of Michigan on the Lake Superior shoreline and nobody in this area services them. Anyone know of service place in the Midwest? Thanks again for the advice.

My theory and I believe Brushcutter's as well: left bearing on unknown axle is shot, which allows axle to wobble, even a slight wobble will throw the geometry off, thereby loosening chain (sprocket is mounted to axle).
    When the chain loses tension power to the left side will decrease even with tracks, and especially in snow. The loose chain will quickly damage the sprocket too.

Its not unusual that the tensioner may go out at the same time as bearings, sprockets, chains, etc.

Sounds as if the teeth on the rear tensioner have worn and are letting it come out of adjustment, 2-4 stripped/rounded teeth with do this under pressure.
    As far as Buzz and Noel thinking you are tightening the track, there is a slight misprint of " If I then tighten the track...".

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

OOPS
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

I would jack up the Max, remove the track from the left side, try and move the left rear and center tire/axle up and down, back and forth, and look for play. If there is hardly any play at all, replace the bearing on that axle (or as said before, replace all of them). It's too much a PITA to replace one in the first place, might as well do them all. Then I would take a hard look at that rear and center sprocket. Like the man said, if the teeth are looking like shark fins, replace them also. Then install some good quality chain. Especially on the left rear PITA side. Look at the "How To" section in the attached link. It explains it http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...-articles.html
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Yeah Jim that kinda threw things out of line for me. If the only problem is that the tensioner loosens after driving on any surface and you know it was tight, replace that tensioner, check sprockets. Noel is correct a slipping chain can quickly kill a sprocket. As far as service shops these machines are not "mainstream" enough to find many of those, most owners do their own service, repair, build or modifications, rare is the aatv driver who lives near a franchised service/repair center. Besides, these things are simple enough to fix, why pay shop prices to repair it.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

+ Reply to Thread