Older Maxll tear down

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Older Maxll tear down

Older Maxll tear down

I have started to tear down my new to me maxll. As I was removing the rims I noticed that the flanges are cast and have no grease zert. The grease fitting is in the middle of the hub. How on earth does the grease get too the bearing like that! Anyway, I got the top off. All wiring is set up on plugs. So it was very easy. As it came apart quick, I had time to remove the 16 hp Briggs. I have an electric hoist in my garage. Makes the job easier! I highly sugest everyone over the age of 50 get one! Anyway, I am sure before it's over I will have a few questions. If anyone can enlighten me about the center grease fitting, I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance. Bryan
    Last edited by tattooman; 03-26-2015 at 03:31 PM.

Sounds like someone drilled the end of hollow axles to pump grease into inboard bushings. Quite common, probably find the axles full from end to end.

Yes, but that doesn't explain how grease got to the bearings?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooman View Post
    Yes, but that doesn't explain how grease got to the bearings?
    If you're stating the 2 outer flanges are stamped with no fitting and the 3rd inner support flange against the outer frame rail has the fitting pressed into the stamping, I'd guess someone put it together wrong and needs a switcheroo.
    That section of frame won't rust.

If not and the zerk is in the axle, then as msafi65 explained, it will send grease through the hollow axle to the inner bushing.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

The outer flang is cast with no grease zerk! I should have the frame out in the next day or two. There may be a grease zerk on the inside of the tub. It's quite a mess inside the tub. I am going to set the frame on a wheel barrow and fill with hot water and dawn dish soap. Add a toilet brush an I should bee able to cut through years of grime! I am replacing the bearings and flanges anyway. While I have the frame out I will be adding inner bearings as well.

+ Reply to Thread