Max IV left stick stuck

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max IV left stick stuck

Max IV left stick stuck

Hi, first post here. I would appreciate some guidance before I tear into this thing too much. I have a late 90s max IV that has had a gradually worsening issue where the left stick requires more and more effort to operate and finally it has gotten to the point where I just can't steer the vehicle (not to the left at least). The gear shift seems to work OK and the right stick operates pretty well. Is a T20 rebuild in order? What is the specific issue that causes this? Thanks in advance for your help, I've found this forum to be really informative.

I've worked on a machine with a rusted pivot tube. Disconnect the linkage from the sticks and see if you can easily move them back and forth. If you cant, the whole assembly can be removed. Unfortunately, I had to cut the pivot tube shaft in half and drill the remaining material out of the sticks and fab a new pivot tube.

http://www.6x6world.com/images/recre...Parts-List.pdf

page 5 item 48,49 and 3. Disconnect 47 and see if it moves easy.
    Last edited by liflod; 03-29-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Looks like you're right on the money! Thank you!

The sticks are drilled in the bottom pour penetrating oil through hole in grip and let soak. Usually end up disassembled to polish tube and lube proper. Owners manual recommends oil down the sticks regularly. Good luck it's pretty common.

If the oil down the handle didn't work,bite the bullet and pull the entire assembly out,bolt the flange down to a sturdy bench,pour the penetrateing oil to it as u work it back and forth til u get them both of the shaft,clean,polish,butter up w/anti seize and reassemble.yea it sucks but it'll fix it. Bill d

That wouldn't be too bad, but unfortunately it was so seized on the shaft I had to break the shaft off of the flange at the weld and now I need to drill it out and weld in a new shaft. I'm just glad a transmission rebuild isn't in order!

To follow up, I was able to hold the shaft in the tail stock of a lathe and turn a drill in the lathe chuck and drill the old rusted shaft out of the control stick. I got a new piece of 5/8" mild steel ground shaft from McMaster and got somebody to weld it into the base plate. Greased it up with marine grease and reinstalled it and the difference is unbelievable. This thing has never been so controllable under my ownership. Thanks for the tips everyone.

+ Reply to Thread