Crap... Just found out all mY chains are all toast.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crap... Just found out all mY chains are all toast.

Crap... Just found out all mY chains are all toast.

ughhhh what a mess.. I decided to switch the chain from the idler sprockets in the middle of my 1995 max IV, from going over the sprocket to going under it. There is no way that will work.... The chain hits the bottom floor and rests on the middle axle. WTF. The person before me was using this 6x6 with extremely worn chains. I wonder if all the sprockets are all junk too. There's no way I can change all the chains and axle sprockets on this. Not to mention the cost associated with new chains and sprockets.. How can I tell if the sprockets are all toast. I'm over this.

MaMudslinger

Remove the chains to best inspect the sprockets. If the sproket teeth look "shark fin" then they are probably toast. Snowmobile Parts, Go Kart Parts, Lawnmower Parts, ATV Parts, and more | MFG Supply has O-ring chain for less price than Tsubaki chain but the same strength.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 07-23-2015 at 04:57 AM.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Should you buy reg 530 o ring of the gold one. Thanks for the info Rusty-gun

MAMudslinger

I would first make sure the chain is the right length. the previous owner could have simply installed the chains that way and it may have required them to be longer. Count the pins. There are several threads here in the max forum that will tell you the correct pin count.

Well the middle sprockets are toast. The inside sprocket is shark fined, whil the outside on is not. Both the back and fronts sprockets look ok. Might as well do the middle bearings and seals while I have to rip everything apart. Hopefully that won't be too bad to do.

I just took the pass side center to front, and counted the pin and it was 120. That does not include the master link. So my chain is super stretched... It's 64.5 inches long, not including the master link.... How long should it be unstrenched?
    Last edited by MAmudslinger; 04-11-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Primary transmission chains are 52, with link.
    Front to center are 122, with link.
    Center to rear are 116, with link.
    I don't know each of the original lengths.
    If the chain tension adjusters are bottomed out then I suggest the chains are stretched beyound use.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 07-23-2015 at 04:58 AM.

If you want a proper length of chain, #50 or #530 is by definition .625" per pin. The "5" in the # stands for 5/8 of an inch.
    However it is too tough to measure chain and determine if it is stretched. If in doubt, replace it. Worn sprockets will also make your chain seem too long. If in doubt, replace them too. It will save much aggravation in the future.

Regarding measuring a chain, the thing I did was compare a new 52 pin chain along side the old one. The old one was indeed stretched. Actual amount I have no idea. The chain adjuster still had space to take up slack, so it wasn't too bad yet. I am saving it as a spare.
    My opinion, once the tensioner runs out of adjustment then its time to toss out the chain.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 04-12-2015 at 05:05 PM.

Well looks like I am buying new chains all around and replacing the middle double sprockets and idler sprockets and bearings and seals. Ohh happy days. All on a machine I haven't driven.... Oh well. Thanks for the info...

MAMudslinger

+ Reply to Thread