Max IV belt issues

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max IV belt issues

Max IV belt issues

Just bought a 97 Max IV with a Koehler commander 20hp. At full throttle the belt is 1.5 below the top of the clutch. Belt seems to be tight enough. The belt is a dayco 018036. Thanks

Have you checked the engine RPM? Does it sound like it is revving properly? That belt number is one that should work fine. When you say that the belt is 1.5" below the top of the clutch, is this with no load when you are revving it in neutral or is this with a load on the machine while it is moving?

Does the machine seem to operate as it should or are you missing some top end performance?

That was with no load. I just went and drove it. Under a load it does not even go half way. Could the belt be to tight?

Top end is terrible. If I had to guess it would be around 10 mph. Motor sounds good though.

Yeah, it is possible for the belt to be too tight. does it squel?

It does not squeal. There was a couple shims under the motor I took out. That helped but not much.

If there was no squealing, the belt tension was probably not too tight. So, it may not be the belt but rather the CVT itself not operating properly. Let's look at a couple of possibilities there. The CVT could need to be lubricated, it could be damaged and it could actually be the wrong type for the four stroke motor. Look inside the holes in the CVT and see if it is badly rusted or damaged in any way. You can lubricate the CVT and try it again. If the CVT appears clean and undamaged, you may want to check the part number to make sure it is the proper one. Most likely it is, but you never know what someone else installed.

I'm throwing out basic items because my knowledge of CVTs is very limited. Someone else will hopefully chime in and help soon if these things don't point you in the right direction.

you have the correct belt for the vehicle. with the engine off where does the belt sit in the lower clutch ? it should be no more than 1/16" below the outer edge. if it sits any lower than that its worn narrow. Aftermarket belt that works well on that machine is a Daco 1042M3. If your machine still has spring loaded levers put transmission in reverse to test run, if not run in neutral. with a tachometer the engine should run 4000-4100 rpm with the belt on at full throttle. If its only running to 3400 it wont fully convert the clutches most of the time. An engine that's is running on one cylinder will just pull the vehicle around at low speed. that engine had one 1/8"washer under the engine to set the belt from the factory. Check belt width and make sure engine reves up properly. if clutches still wont convert one or both are sticking.

So I sprayed some spray lube in the holes of the engine clutch and that seemed to help a bunch. In neutral it goes almost all the way up on the engine clutch and the Trans clutch seems to be working also. I am still not getting any top end. When driving it the the engine clutch goes maybe half way up. Any suggestions?

Do as msafi65 wrote and check rpm, couple hundred will kill it under load. If you have 26's a couple hundred will be worse.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread