Max IV broken axle bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max IV broken axle bearings

Max IV broken axle bearings

So I've been able to get my Max out for some mud riding and floating and all was well until I pulled the front floor panel and noticed the right front axle had crept outboard a bit and the chain alignment was sketchy. After further investigation I determined that the locking collar on the inboard bearing had had separated from the bearing flange along with a chunk of the bearing. So I pull the axle and all the other stuff and install a new bearing. I take the machine out for a ride and everything seems great right up to the point where the right side primary drive chain pops of the sprocket leaving me stranded. After trailering the Max home and investigating the problem I see where the right rear axle locking (inboard and outboard bearings) collars have both backed off causing the axle to shift outboard causing a misalignment and hence the chain issue. Bottom line, the primary drive chain sprocket has 7 teeth damaged (new sprocket time), but the weird thing is that both the bearing locking collars had broken the bearing flange (see pix) and backed off. So 3 broken bearings on 2 different axles, IDK. Checked all the other axles for locking collar issues and see no problems.

Anyone have any idea what would cause these bearing flanges to break off inside the locking collars? I know the collars are concentric and must be tapped into the locking position before tightening the worm screw. Am I doing something wrong or is the cheap arss bearings I got from RR? Help please? 20150426_164203.jpg20150426_162235.jpg20150426_155450.jpg20150426_154020.jpg

Bottom line is I had the same thing happen to me several times with different bearing brands and what it comes down to is that bearing collars are just not designed to take that kind of side loading I suggest taking your axles to a local machine shop and having the ends turned down and a bolt installed in the end so tour not relying on the collars for position anymore
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

You get the axles turned down to 1 1/8 and get shims from Matt for correct spacing and have the axel ends drilled and tapped for. A 3/8 bolt
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

i always add 2 piece clamping collars on the inside of the axles. one against the inside bearing and one against the outer bearing. they really help take some of the stress off the clamping collars. john boy va.

Hi Rick, Cheap bearings from Richard. Get replacements from Buffalo Bearings. JPSwift will chime in with the phone number. I don't the number off hand. Good luck Mike

Buffalo bearings (716) 874 1720. Highly recommended.

+ Reply to Thread