Rode my Max II hard yesterday. Got hot and saw some smoke. Help.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rode my Max II hard yesterday. Got hot and saw some smoke. Help.

Rode my Max II hard yesterday. Got hot and saw some smoke. Help.

Yesterday I was doing some heavy towing w/ swisher brush cutter and when I took on some hills, after running for a couple hours, I got some smoke. I finished climbing the last hill and shut down to cool off for a bit. After closer inspection I believe I see transmission fluid, just under transmission. Under the engine looks good and everything appears to be fine but should I be concerned or did I just push too hard? Should I assume there's a leak or could fluid escape some other way? Also, I did pop a wheelie the other day too which may also be a concern.

Any help greatly appreciated. btw, new to small motor maintenance. Please, take me for a dummy

Oh yeah, I did notice my chains are pretty darn dry too. Need to grease 'em up.

Thanks, Sean

most likely bolts that hold tranny halfs together are coming loose
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

Thanks!

I don't see fluid where the halfs come together... maybe be at bottom though. Hmmm, I do see fluid to bottom / left of tranny when looking down on it from behind 6x6. Not at the drain plug but to the left and outside, by mounting area below. btw, newbie here but trying to troubleshoot visually.

It could be the belt slipped a bit, causing friction to develope smoke. Sometimes T20s drip fluid out the seals of the output shafts and plungers. Its best to check every where to locate the leak and stop it. Or you'll end up with low fluid in the transmission. Check the belt for wear, too. Clean the clutch faces if needed.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

The fluid could be coming out at the main output shaft seals or from the vent drain plug.

Had the same problem once. The fluid was coming from between the case halves at the bottom because the bolts needed a little snugging up. Never happened again. Oh, I had rebuilt the tranny. Worked great after tightening the bolts and topping off the tranny.
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

I think it's the left (facing forward) input shaft seal. Must be coming out there and settling below/left. I can see fluid around the bottom of the transmission casing just under shaft. Is that a tough fix? Thanks again everyone for your feedback!

I wonder, is this something I need to take care of asap or is just because of the hard push? IE: hill + towing 400lb. There's not a huge amount of fluid but it did burn briefly. Maybe I should do a cleanup and check trans fluid level... top off to bottom drain plug and keep an eye on it?

Oh yeah, and get some chain lube... they are pretty darn dry. Probably added to stress.
    Last edited by dJ dAb; 05-06-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Definitely clean it up. No seal should be leaking. I think, but don't quote me, that these seals are popped in from the outside which would mean removing the sprocket and prying out the old and pushing in the new. Sort of like a bearing seal. You guys correct me if I'm wrong. Just gettin old and CRS. If you don't know what that means, well, you will some day.
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

Correction: Input shaft side.

In my mid 40's but the memory slips quite a bit too. Sounds relatively easy if done like you said. Thanks
    Last edited by dJ dAb; 05-06-2015 at 03:12 PM.

Those shafts have their sprockets pressed on. The sprockets are considered non-removable by MuddOx (others have removed them and installed new sprockets using hydrolic presses though). These shafts come out when the transmission is opened up.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread