johnboys max 2 highboy

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: johnboys max 2 highboy

nubs, i have been riding in my muddy water swamp and mud pit for days. everything works great !! the chains and sprockets get muddy of course but i just hose them off when done. some of the chain lubes available are very good. i like the lower gearing also.i used marine grease in the bearings. so far so good. keep riding some every day to see if there are any changes i need. john boy va. looking forward to a good snow !!

I give you an "A"!! Great thinking also,,, I like the idea! Can't wait to see it perform!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Looks impressive, like a Hustler 980 tall boy.

Even when the chains are in the tub they get grungy in no time.

friends, only change i had to make was move the rear chain sprocket tensioners to the slack side of the chain. i do like that # 60. i was wondering noel about the chains in mud before the build. talked to guys who have run quads in sand and mud for years. just rinse off after use and relube will keep them good. and talked to don kenyon also and he said the same thing about in the tub. at least on the outside they are easy to rinse and lube. if i,m not in mud they stay real clean. seems that '' motul off road chain lube '' is the most recommend by the 4 wheeler community. later, john boy va.

Johnboy, I like the extra ground clearance and the tire clearance. Seems like one could team up some 26" tires with tracks and turn it into a monster.

You must also have a few bearings and some chain inside the tub that still need attention?

How much weight did you add to the machine?

ak, the extra ground and tire clearance is nice. i could have gone with bigger tires, but would have had to buy new tracks, tires and rims. just bought all those from adair last year !! only bearings inside are the center axle bearings. those are a easy change. only one brake chain inside. goes to the front left axle shaft, no wheel hub outside of course. i didn't weigh the frame, so i'm not sure of the extra weight. haven't noticed any difference. since i geared it down a bit, the 16 h.p. easily pulls up a good hill and took me thru a mud hole that buried the tracks. i later realized if i would have used pillow block bearing holders instead of the 4'' sq. flanges i could have gained another 4'' or so of frame clearance. not sure they would have been as strong though. i could put 4'' spacers between the tub and frame and really get up there !! i do like not having the tracks slap the tub. thinking i will be able to go thru 2' of snow now. john boy va.

John Boy,

It looks like this setup would be easier to clean in some situations. I do a lot of off-trail riding so I wrap up a lot of grass, wild rose bushes, and devil's club (a north country scourge that has nasty thorns) among other things around the axles. It is a real adventure reaching in around the tires to pull all of that off of the bearing rails and axles. If it were just grass...no problem. The thorns make it real interesting. On the one hand, what you have could tend to pick up even more stuff, but it is below the tub so somewhat easier to reach for removal. I could remove the tires every time I take it out and really clean it, but that is a lot of work...especially with tracks added into the mix.

You mentioned spraying off the mud, do you pick up much other debris that has to be manually removed?

Now we need blue prints.

ak, we have blackberry bushes and heavy brush here. haven't noticed anything in particular getting wrapped around the axles or caught in the bearing flanges. seems everything just gets kinda smashed or pushed down. even more with the tracks. the only under surface besides the tub are the 4 parallel inch and a half frame rails. the dupont chain saver lube really keeps a lot of mud from sticking to the chain. what does rinses off easily with a hose as does the frame. so far i have no need to remove the tires for any cleaning. it is a lot easier to clean than unbolting and raising the tub top,pulling the drain plugs and washing the inside out. i'm thinking it will be easier to keep the chains cleaned and lubed. if your not in mud all the time they should stay fairly clean. i think this design being used just depends on how and where someone runs their machine, if it will work for them. i'm to post measurements or just describe how i did it if someone wants. of course it would vary for each model of machine, but the basic design would be the same. john boy va.

do you guys think my max 2 highboy would steer with 4 28'' tires ? thanks, j.b.

+ Reply to Thread