johnboys max 2 highboy

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: johnboys max 2 highboy

max 2 big tires

not sure this post went thru. was wondering if my max 2 would turn o.k. with 4 , 28'' tires. would use when i didn't need the tracks , thanks j.b.
    Last edited by Mike; 07-15-2015 at 09:12 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic

well after all the r @ d and testing the max, i'm really enjoying it. feels like all the bugs are worked out. ready for the oct. gathering. john boy va.

that thing is awesome!I wonder if some kind of leaf springs or coil springs could be used between the outer frame and the tub for some kind of suspension.Keeping chain tension on the middle drive might be a problem but I think it could be done.

i think it would work other than keeping the drive chain tight. a spring loaded tensioner may work, but in order to have any suspension the springs couldn't be too stiff which means the chain would slack on each bump. i think the seat on a spring setup is better. j.b.

one great thing is the amount of time getting stuck from high centered trails is greatly reduced.Seems like every time I get stuck its from the center of the tub bottoming out and all 6 wheels just spinning,especially when driving through a well used trail that has turned into a pond .

yes, at some point i am going to get 4 , 12'' offset rims and install 4 28'' tires on them just as a option on the max when not using the tracks. that would give me about 11'' ground clearance to the frame. that should be cool !! john boy va. if you ever have anyone coming down this way you are still welcome to my tracks. even if you do the frame design , the tracks are still fun.

great!I will have to figure a way to get to you some day.Unfortunatly for me all my travels to the inlaws take me west.I will figure something out one day.

how did you attach the exo frame to the original frame?Did you just use long grade 8 3/8" bolts and nuts with silicone for a water tight seal?

flippy, i welded a angle bracket at each of the four bolt down points to the inside of the existing frame. then bolted thru that bracket,thru the tub , then thru the new frame. just going thru the tub is not strong enough. and i did use silicone sealer when installing the bolts. i used 1/2'' regular hex bolts. in order to tighten the 2 main drive chains, i put 1/2'' flat washers between the tub and new frame. if i need to tighten the chains i just loosen the nuts, jack the front or back of the body up till the chain tightens, then slip another washer or two on the bolt ( i cut a slit in the washer ) and tighten down. the main drive chains on mine were too short to get a idler to work good. and i only used 4 bolts to fasten the body and frame together. j.b.

ok,I thought going through the existing original steel frame then through the tub then to the exterior frame would be good enough.I am interested in where you welded onto your original frame.

+ Reply to Thread