johnboys max 2 highboy

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: johnboys max 2 highboy

johnboys max 2 highboy

hey friends, after 14 years i figured it was time for new chains,axles, bearings and sprockets. wanted bigger tires and more clearance for the tracks. i didn't want to tackle cutting the tub, etc. so decided on a subframe design. used 1 1/4 '' 14 ga. square tubing. bought all new axles, triple sealed bearings mounted in 4'' square cast flanges. went with # 60 sprockets and diamond o-ring chain. i used a quick change sprocket for the primary and went smaller.lost a little top end speed, but the lower gearing works really well with the 16 h.p. vanguard. the tires are now 22''. could have gone to 24'', but would have had to bought new rims also. did a lot or research on chains in mud on dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. found some excellent lubes. i'm really not in mud much , so chains and sprockets will last me till my days. heres what i like so far : fun sitting up higher, more track clearance-no slap, all bearings easy access for lube and replacing, easy access to tensioners and i gained about 6'' more ground clearance. thats it so far. need to ride more and see if any problems occur. thanks, john boy va.IMG_0826.jpgIMG_0828.jpgIMG_0829.jpgIMG_0872.jpgIMG_0873.jpg

B
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Nice job John, friend of ours did the same to an Attex abot 12 years ago though he did his reduction at the axles. His was tough and lasted for years not seeing mud and pulling grades though it topped at about 10 mph.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

seems you always got something turning in your mine, looks good

thanks loco, sometimes it's just fun to do something different. so far after a few bugs to work out, all seems good. busco is always the test ! everything is pretty heavy duty in the design and should last . a couple of things i would do a little different, but hard to think of it all. john boy va.

John,

That design is a beast. You never stop improving your Max II. I wish I could be there to see it preform at BB. I will be looking for you in the videos that are to come. As soon as me and the family get settled in here and get our machines I will be finding some trails to ride on and post some videos of HI for yall.
    Last edited by CBass; 07-09-2015 at 04:10 PM.
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

That looks neat! Sure make working on the chains a whole lot easier. Probably too much mud here to try it.

i have enough tub clearance i could put 4 30'' tires on there !! how cool would that be. may have to try it. john boy va.

John-have you had it in water yet and how does it do? Man, 6" of extra clearance would help me so much I almost cry thinking about it!

Looks good

+ Reply to Thread