Emergency brake for 92 Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Emergency brake for 92 Max IV

Emergency brake for 92 Max IV

I have searched the forum and perhaps haven't hit on the right word combo. I need an emergency brake on my machine a, '92 Max IV . It's primary use ( for now) is to haul people and supplies up and down a fairly steep hill to and from the boat dock 150 yards . I have already experienced the "no steering" on a hill when I tried to change gears while on a gentle slope. A little disconcerting! Is there an aftermarket kit or parts I can get to add this? That 150 yard ride would be a wild one if you made it to the lake and a painful one if a tree got in the way! Thanks in advance.

There is an emergency brake kit that was installed by the factory. Older style Max IVs had drum brakes on the front two axles and newer ones had disc brakes. You can try purchasing the parts from the factory or your local dealer, you can try posting a wanted ad here on the forum, or you can build your own.

The original factory brakes never seemed to work that well. They were operated by a mechanical system with a foot lever. Member jerseybigfoot installed hydraulic brakes on his Max IV. You can check out his gallery for photos.

Thanks Mike. I'll look up jerseybigfoot.

Max IV drum emergency brake pics

It looks like there really aren't any off the shelf conversion kits for disc brakes. That will have to be a creation for later. I need brakes now so I think the fastest way to that end is to put back what was in there. My 92 Max IV has the the drums and nothing else. If someone could shoot me some pics of their machines working drum brake setup it would certainly help. I'm sure it is simple, but would rather not reverse engineer. The manufacture's web site has an exploded parts view; however, there isn't any detail on how it attaches/functions etc etc. I would like to put the machine to work but feel it would be unsafe to not have that redundancy. By all means if someone has parts laying around, I'm interested. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mike; 07-08-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic

I have all the parts except bands. You will want new ones. At best the drum brakes help controll speed down hill. The factory disc brake parts should be available. They require welding in the rear caliper mount on older vehicles. I have a frame with pedal mounted I can send pics if you email me.

I removed the brakes from my machine for some additional weight savings. They were so ineffective that I never used them. Some people like them and use them all the time. Others don't. While I can't argue that there is some additional safety to having supplemental brakes, as long as you understand how the T20 operates, you should be fine to operate it without them.

Msafi65, thanks. I have emailed you and am looking forward to the pics. So you are saying that the most recent iteration of the e brake is a disc system and could be modified to go in my machine?

Mike, I'm not being hard headed, but I would like "something" sooner realizing that it will not be optimum. I do understand the T20 but have already experienced it not being in gear on a slope (thought it was). Thank god it was a gentle slope with no obstacles. Scared the $#|+ out of me! I am sure with more drive time I'll have more confidence and less use for the additional measure. I am very interested in the hydraulic disc system but am afraid that my fabrication inexperience will mean my machine will be down too long. That system will be my winter project! For the interim, if you still have the drum brake parts and want to get rid of them, let me know. Thanks

I understand. If you take look at the Max II Bearing Replacement video here: https://youtu.be/GebTAtCD8C8?t=113 you can see parts of the parking brake system as I remove it to remove the axle. This is on a Max II but the system is basically the same disc brake system on the Max IV. The foot lever puts tension on a cable. That cable tension pulls an arm on each side of the vehicle that pushes the brake shoes against the disc.

If you go to the "Technical Features" section of the Max Legacy site here Guided Tour of the Max IV - Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511 there are several photos of the brake system:
    max4_tech_181.jpg max4_tech_79.jpg

I did a disc upgrade with factory parts a few years ago. I think the parts list is still here somewhere. It was spendy and even the mechanical discs are marginal in very steep terrain. I've looked at several hydraulic calipers to try out but haven't done an upgrade yet. The only parts I had to add was a proper place to bolt the rear of the caliper and the bracket that holds the locking lever which isn't available. Most people learn to drive forward down steep hills with a t20 the hard way. The transmission will stop you but will overheat massively if used to controll speed for a long distance. I tell people if they are going down a steep enough area that the vehicle will run away more than a few body lengths to use brakes. I drive an oldie with drums and at best it slows me a bit. I stop at the top at a hill, stand on the brake and drive slowly with sticks forward . Steering is done with quick movements and return to forward position. I had a new vehicle a few years ago the owner used the trany to slow him down on a steep grade about 1/2 mile long. When I dissambed the T20 it appeared the fluid caught on fire. Output seals were blown out of the case, smoke out the ends , inside was black. No one told him to use brakes and drive down the hills.

+ Reply to Thread