Axle straightening?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Axle straightening?

Axle straightening?

I know I've seen a post before about someone straightening their axle that was bent? Has anybody done this and is it worth trying?
    "I'm NOT stuck, I'm just temporarily stopped"

I've straightened 1" Attex axles in the field using the coveted Stobinski Method, and have straightened 1" and 1-1/4" axles with a press. Realize that you do fatigue the metal to some degree each time you do it, and the axle is likely to bend or break in the same spot again if stressed. I'd absolutely give it a shot if the bend isn't that bad. There's a nice video of member CBass straightening out a splined Max II axle in a press somewhere on the Site. Let me take a look around...

::EDIT::
    Derp...that didn't take long.

Last edited by hydromike; 07-09-2015 at 02:13 PM.

I've straightened an Attex axle with a sledge hammer while it was on the machine.
    Not recommended for bearing longevity, but it will get you home without the axle hitting the body

Thanks Hydro, I think I am going to do that before I buy a new or good used axle. Thanks for the vid.
    "I'm NOT stuck, I'm just temporarily stopped"

wheeler, i have had good luck straightening shafts, etc. with my log splitter. use a piece of 4x4 with 2 2x4 blocks screwed to the 4x4 about a foot apart. have that at the wedge end. have someone hold the axle against the 2x4 blocks with the 4x4 centered on the wedge. slowly bring the ram up to the axle and apply a little pressure at a time. usually it won't bust the 4x4. may need to put a metal plate between the wedge and 4x4. just take your time if you try this. john boy va.

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    I've straightened an Attex axle with a sledge hammer while it was on the machine.
    Not recommended for bearing longevity, but it will get you home without the axle hitting the body
    I've used the "blunt trauma" method of axle straightening many times. I don't think it's ever ruined a bearing, but I did shear the flange bolts out of an Attex frame once. It's a much better idea to remove it and use a press, or better yet replace it with new, but not nearly as fast as a sledge hammer.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I can usually get them to under .010" in the press with a V block and a dial indicator. The newer max axles stamped ETD on the flange are tough. Even if they are under 10 thou runout you can feel the bind in new bearings when rotating. I straighten the ones that I have for emergency use.

How quickly they forget!
    yes on the trail you can straiten your axle still in the machine. you need a hydraulic floor jack, big block of wood,chain, pipe or maybe a 4x4 post under the jack. place the pipe under the axle in line with it, with the block of wood on one end under the frame of the aatv,then put the chain around axle and pipe near bearing. the jack go's on the pipe under the axle hub, turn axle hub to point closest to the jack, jack it up till axle starts to straiten, a few seconds and then release psi. check and re bend as necessary. I'm sorry if this makes no sense but anyone who has seen me do this will remember strait away.
    I have done this possibly a hundred times, don't worry about it they last just as long as non bent axles, your not really having fun if you haven't bent an axle,

You lost me somewhere about "yes"... Do you have pictures? Or would you take pics the next time you do this? Anything to help me/us understand. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by David3rd View Post
    How quickly they forget!
    yes on the trail you can straiten your axle still in the machine. you need a hydraulic floor jack, big block of wood,chain, pipe or maybe a 4x4 post under the jack. place the pipe under the axle in line with it, with the block of wood on one end under the frame of the aatv,then put the chain around axle and pipe near bearing. the jack go's on the pipe under the axle hub, turn axle hub to point closest to the jack, jack it up till axle starts to straiten, a few seconds and then release psi. check and re bend as necessary. I'm sorry if this makes no sense but anyone who has seen me do this will remember strait away.
    I have done this possibly a hundred times, don't worry about it they last just as long as non bent axles, your not really having fun if you haven't bent an axle,
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Check out this photo:

+ Reply to Thread