Gearing on a Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gearing on a Max IV

Gearing on a Max IV

I have been researching this forum and I have been impressed with Mr. Edwards machine running the swamps on youtube. I believe he is running a 31 hp on his machine and he runs 27 inch tires. My question is if i change some sprockets on my max iv to lower gear ration can I turn 27 inch tires with my 18 hp?

Which tires are you planning on running and what year is your Max IV? The newer style Max IV tubs can accept larger tires more easily. Either way, you may end up having to reshape your tub to make tires that large fit. If they will fit, then regearing your Max IV will help turn the larger tires more easily but first see what gearing you currently have.

Some Max IVs came from the factory with an 18HP motor and 26" tires. While they were a little underpowered, they still worked ok for basic trail riding. You probably would be fine if you are putting around but if you get into nasty mud or haul a lot of weight, that's when performance would suffer. You can swap the clutch spring to help out some and you could hop up the motor that you currently have a little.

If you do regear, then you will lose top end speed where, if you upgrade your motor, you can have the best of both worlds. It comes down to what kind of riding you like to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Which tires are you planning on running and what year is your Max IV? The newer style Max IV tubs can accept larger tires more easily. Either way, you may end up having to reshape your tub to make tires that large fit. If they will fit, then regearing your Max IV will help turn the larger tires more easily but first see what gearing you currently have.

Some Max IVs came from the factory with an 18HP motor and 26" tires. While they were a little underpowered, they still worked ok for basic trail riding. You probably would be fine if you are putting around but if you get into nasty mud or haul a lot of weight, that's when performance would suffer. You can swap the clutch spring to help out some and you could hop up the motor that you currently have a little.

If you do regear, then you will lose top end speed where, if you upgrade your motor, you can have the best of both worlds. It comes down to what kind of riding you like to do.
    Mike I bought a new max iv in 2005 and used it a few years, unfortunately I had to get rid of it. I just bought a used max iv in which the man had replaced engine with 18hp honda. I don{t know what year it is. it needed a belt. I ve got that going. it needs chains tightened. it came with 21 rawhides, but managed to horse trade some 25 rawhides wihich i owned before and ran on my previous max. the tres have some dry rot. I am not sure how much time I will get out of them. mostly where i ride is sanding and lots of deep water. not many people have maxes in florida. so I will probalbly ask lots of questions. thanks for the reply Mike

The sand will rob a good bit more power compared to normal trails especially when turning. You may get away with running 26" Goodyears but if you try to go larger than that or, if you go with a wider tire, I think you would be disappointed in the performance without doing some other modifications if you plan on hauling more than one person. Count the teeth on your T20 output sprockets and on your large drive sprockets on the rear axle. You probably have 15 tooth T20 sprockets and 34 tooth rear sprockets. If so, I wouldn't change the gearing any. That rear 34 tooth is already low. If that's the case, I would look into some performance upgrades or possibly a motor swap?

What tires are you thinking about running? Is it going to be just you in the machine or do you normally have a lot of gear or passengers?

Mike it seems I always wind up carrying one or two extra persons and a cooler, and some tools. where can you buy these sprockets? at the factory? or Richard relics? any other sources? I am a real believer in low gears especially in the woods, you can only runs so fast without beating your brains out.

You may have the lowest gears that are available from the factory or a dealer. Check to see what you have first. If you have the 34 tooth, you may also not be able to fit a larger/lower gear on the rear axle. It is pretty close to the frame. If you have something smaller (less teeth), then you can try starting a wanted ad in the classified section for the ones you are looking for. If you have splined axles, it's easier to swap sprockets and if so, your options for purchasing them are greater.

+ Reply to Thread