New Max IV oner here today, What the largest Briggs Or Kohler Can Replace My 16 Hp W/

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Max IV oner here today, What the largest Briggs Or Kohler Can Replace My 16 Hp W/

New Max IV oner here today, What the largest Briggs Or Kohler Can Replace My 16 Hp W/

Hey got me a 96 max IV with a 16 hp briggs, I was wondering what was the biggest repower I could put in it , I would guess the line up would be a 23 hp briggs and then up to a 29 briggs if possible . Is there much difference in the power of a 16 hp vs 23 hp briggs? Is it worth the upgrading ? A 29 hp something would almost double my hp but i dont know how much fabbing it would take to make it fit with belts and pulleys , but I am industrial mechanic and work on equipment for living so I have the ability to make it work if possible. Thanks Cled. Or cled66@gmail.com

The 16-23 upgrade is bolt in. I ran a 16 in mine for a year and then went 23. Just about any small engine will fit back there. Switching brands may require some rewiring or possibly drilling new holes for the engine mount, but that should be the most fab work needed. If you want to make life easy, you can drop in a bandalero motor which is essentially your engine built up to over 30 hp. Some guys are getting a lot more than that out of them even. You just need to consider reliability vs hp. If you hop up a 16 too much, it will load up on the carb at idle and flood out unless revved up and your compression may be to high to start hot. Also, upgrade your t-20 mount with additional rear supports for it and make sure you have the 2008 frame upgrade kit on your machine. If done a lot of damage to both the t20 and the frame with a 23 in mine. I've seen even worse damage coming from a 29hp engine in a IV.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Did the larger size 23 vanguard produce more speed and torque? What did u notice over the 16 hp . The 16 moves the max iv down the street but when it comes to hill climbs it peters out . Thats what I have been learning. I think a 29 hp vanguard would be the perfect motor for my max iv . I weighed my max and its coming in a 1100 lbs . More weigh need more power . And what is your top speed with a 23 . Thanks cled ,

I agree with amphibious drew to much hp causes work. HAVE SOLID AXLES? Get that t-20 held down. I have 30 hp generac in my attex and had to use spline axles. and made a additional mount for the transmission. PLEASE FOLLOW THES SUGGESTION IF GOING BIG HP OR GO HOME WALKING lol lol

I use a red spring on my driven which is meant to keep the gearing low longer. The 23 does get to speed faster than the 16 did. I do not run out of power with my machine. All 6 wheels will spin before that happens. I puposfully sought out and went with a 23 because I felt that was the powerful enough to not run out of ponies when I needed them and small enough not to completely destroy my machine when I'm beating the snot out of it. I did manage to do some damage to the frame and t-20 prior to adding additional rear supports and thickening my mounting holes even with the 2008 upgrade done by a PO(although not done as well as I would suggest). The PO did not fix the original wallowed out holes before adding the side plate. I highly suggest welding your stock holes up and redrilling them when adding the side plates on the 2008 upgrade. I did take pictures of my upgraded mounts detailing what work I did.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread