Normal speed?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Normal speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    You can purchase a tachometer to check your RPM. I would start with the belt like wedge mentioned though. Make sure that it has the proper tension. You can tighten it up by adding spacers under the engine. As for the top speed, it will probably be in the mid 20's, definitely more then you are getting.
    mike i didn't know it would run that fast
    Max IV
    Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
    swamp buggy powered by 1947 willys flathead

I'm sure everybody here wants to help you but they're all like me. I've never clocked mine and haven't a clue how fast it'll go.

I put more shims under the motor and tightend the belt and it still only runs 15. And the rpm gauge thing is not available at any auto parts store that I've looked. And a lot of people clock their speed on these, mike will tell u that also.

on my old max with the 26 tires and 20 hp kohler with the gov. adjusted for slightly higher rpm's... it GPS'ed at 21 mph. all i can
    suggest is to make sure your clutches are ramping all the way in and out

It should go faster than 15. My Max IV easily goes 15 down our local 3rd St, near the school zone, which has a vehical speed guage. We can see our speed at a glance (its mounted to the speed sign). I do 15 at about half throttle. BTW I've never been full throttle yet.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Looking at the pictures the belt has some wear I'd start there if you can't find a mower shop to test the rpm's. I'd like to say something about the clutch but that will wait.

According to an older brochure the 16 Tecumseh IV tops at 20 mph, however there were 3 tire options available ( the 21, 23 and 26 ) and not sure as to top speed per tire or which does 20 mph. A 26 will eat a 21(closer to 19.5 or so on 8x8 rims) for lunch on flat ground.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks Jim, and please feel free to say what u want about the clutch, I need all the help I can get. Can I just cut the belt off and take it to a mower shop and let them give me the same one or since it has wear will it be stretched and measure wrong?

I'd suggest a new belt from the factory or an aftermarket belt that msafi65 posted the number of.
    I'd remove the belt and learn the trick (if there is one) so you can put the new one on without damage.
    Take a picture of the new belt in the drive clutch before I comment.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Ok will do! thanks everyone for the replies!

ok so I got a new belt and it didn't help my speed at all. Any other suggestions??

+ Reply to Thread