Max II Axle Replacement

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max II Axle Replacement

Max II Axle Replacement

Like many, I have finally had enough of failed set screws in the sprocket of the center axles on my '03 Max II . Last year I replaced the center axle on the left side with a newer design that incorporated snap rings to retain the sprocket in place, it so far including a brutal winter of track use has worked well. This spring I discovered the set screw had failed on the center axle sprocket on the right side. I got all my new parts shipped and they shipped the axle that has the cuts in the spline for the snap rings also they sent spacer tubes that they told me is the new method of sprocket retention . Does anyone have any experience with either of these installation methods ? Both are definitely a giant leap ahead of the set screws. Both failed sprockets described above were removal via "reciprocating saw" as while the sprocket would slide enough to foul and jam on the frame they could not be taken apart. I am really anxious to move beyond this "Achilles Heel"of the Max. Any tips/info would be greatly appreciated. I believe Max/MuddOx has a really great distributor out of South Dakota, seem very knowledgeable.

eldon, my only experience with the sprockets on splined axles on my max 2 was that they would slide right or left if the set screw failed. i started using 2 piece clamping collars on each side of the sprocket and that seemed to work well. the only other way is to use a sprocket and bushing design. these consist of a tapered bushing with the correct axle bore and a matching sprocket with the chain size and no. of teeth needed. the bushing simply slips on the axle and 3 bolts pull the sprocket onto the bushing. as the bolts tighten the sprocket is pulled tighter on the bushing which in turn clamps really tight on the axle. i have 2 on my max 2 rebuild and they have not slipped . the bushing has a keyway that could be used with a splined axle. check them out on mcmaster carr website. hope this helps. johnboy va.

Thanks John, much appreciated. The new design as of last year was a snap ring set in grooves cut in the splines on either side of the sprocket, works OK but difficult to assemble. This year they have sleeve spacers that go on either side of the sprocket hold it in place, again looks difficult to assemble. Your bushing description sounds like a real good ide. Best Regards

I just ordered 2 piece clamping collars my back sprockets keep sliding back and forth since the splined axle upgrade on the attex. The middle moved 1 time and the rears moved 3 times in the 8 hours I have put on it. Now I can usually tell when it happens just by feel when turning. So far the axles have worked great and has been tested in about 45 minute each trip. Am currently waiting for the collars and some drain plugs. johnboy va is right about the collars get them easiest way with out removing the axles. QUESTION which sprocket walked on you guys front middle or rear or all

seems to me most have slidsome time or another. if the sprockets are just ''floating '' on the axles you would think the chain would keep them lined up. of course in that case they could both slide. what would keep them in place would be the tensioner block. but the collars do seem to work well. j.b.

I think the chains do a fair job of alignment, they move if unsecured when turning/braking. I can tell you they are a pain. LOL

The new axles will not have snapring grooves when all grooved axles are used up. The spacer kits are the latest design to hold the sprockets in place. I get by with the front sprockets with rotors not retaining them at all. The brakes hold them ok. The main sprockets on rear of the IV and center on II or buff truck will walk out of alignment if not retained. You could just install the snaprings so both sides are the same.

Thank you msafi65 . I did match the left side by using the snap rings . I got terrific alignment and I am very hopeful my main drive sprocket retention hassles are minimized. Left side seems to have stood the four season gambit.

+ Reply to Thread