Max IV throttle cable inner wire replacement

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max IV throttle cable inner wire replacement

Max IV throttle cable inner wire replacement

My 2004 max IV throttle cable broke, near the handle. I found the entire replacement for sale for $70-80 or so, including the heated part and cable housing. It seems like it would be easier (and cheaper) to simply slide in a new inner wire from the handle side, through the existing cable housing. I could have it attached to the carb and be back running in about 5 minutes. If I have to buy the entire assembly, I have to climb around inside the tub, removing the old and reattaching the new.

Any direction on where to find such a cable? I've checked local atv/cycle/mower/bike shops with no luck. Thoughts?

Matt

I had the same thing happen to me with the interior steel cable broke. I went to the local Lowes with a piece of the cable and matched it pretty close. Been going 2 years on it. Just slide it through the housing and clamped a couple of end pieces on it.

I bought some 1/16" galvanized wire. With the addition of a crimp or two at the handle, it's as good as new for about $5. Thanks for the tip!!

Wire or cable? I'm not trying to be a doubter but a single strand "wire" would introduce some concerns over a multi strand "cable"

I see how my response may be confusing. I used 1/16" braided galvanized steel cable. (Stranded)

Yes, thanks for the tip. Does anyone know the estimated length of a Max IV cable? 10 feet maybe? 12? Thanks.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 09-03-2015 at 06:42 PM.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

If you're looking to just replace the inner cable like I did, 100" falls a little short. Don't ask how I know. The second time around I used 9'. Worked great...even trimmed a little bit off after everything was secure.

Nine feet of 1/16" steel braided cable from Lowes... Got it. Thanks.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
    If you're looking to just replace the inner cable like I did, 100" falls a little short. Don't ask how I know. The second time around I used 9'. Worked great...even trimmed a little bit off after everything was secure.
    Me hen using a 100" cable on a max Iv, you must go up to the engine in front of the t-20. I believe it takes about 112" to go around the back to the throttle. However, it is easy to change which way the cable activates the throttle.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread