Won't turn

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Won't turn

Won't turn

Hy , I was going the woods and it squealed and poped and won't steer left. Its been popping really bad the last month. I just wondered if someone could help? thanks alex and its a max iv

Popping generally equals chain/sprocket looseness. Check all the chains for tension and sprockets for teeth, if the sprockets have bolts through them check them for breakage.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I found that the chain was off and left rear axle bolt broke thanks a lot alex

Hey Jim,
    What would cause the same sound and "no" turning assuming the chains n sprockets are working fine? Mine did this same thing and visually everything is still in place. I cringe to say this....maybe a broke/twisted band? This would really suck since I don't have 3 hours on it since I had the T-20 rebuilt .

I couldn't edit my post for some reason, so im adding info here;
    I get nothing when I try to go left, but turning right still works fine. It squealed real bad, popped, then stopped...

It may be a broken band. Does it go in reverse? Is it shifting from forward to reverse?

Yes it will reverse but only the right side track works, no power goes to the driver side. Shifting fwd and rev works fine long as you don't need the driver side to work

When you break a band the stick movement changes abruptly on the broken side ,usually will come back to seat or forward to dash after the pop. You broken a shift pin or shift collar grove. This can leave one side in neutral. Pull the engine and remove the diamond shifter on dead side. Inspect the pin and the grove in the shift collar. A quick check is just disconnect the dead side shift rod and try shifting it. You should feel the spring detents in three positions. if it just moves with no detents something broke ,likely the pin.

Thanks for the information, i'll do as you say. If this pin is the problem, can the pin be swapped out without taking the motor/motor stand out? Where can I find a replacement pin?

The pins are 1/4x 11/16 roller bearings. Available from max 6x6. Usually very hard to pull from diamond shifter. I suggest if it's broken flush to replace the shifter. I have a jig I made to drill the holes on the other side. I install a new pin and have a shifter for other side. You can get the retainer and shifter out without pulling the engine but very difficult to inspect the groove in the shift collar. When in the field without help I pull the rear seat and just walk the engine forward to do a trany. Good luck it's kind of a pain to have to tear down again.

+ Reply to Thread