Max IV new guy, minimal reverse movement before lockup

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max IV new guy, minimal reverse movement before lockup

Max IV new guy, minimal reverse movement before lockup

Hey everyone, I decided to join this forum since I picked up an older Max IV 16hp aatv a few weeks ago.
    I am mechanically inclined, and like to do all of my own stuff on cars/trucks/atvs dirtbikes, etc. but have ran into an unknown with my Max. I went through and cleaned the motor to get it running great, went through the t20 with fresh fluid and just adjusted the plungers to get the sticks more even(I have the t20 with 'popsicle' bars connecting the plungers).
    After putting back together, I shifted into reverse and was only able to go about 3 feet before the left side of the Max locked up completely (no reverse movement). The right side is still free, and the left side moves free after I shift back into neutral or forward. Driving in forward is fine, but once in awhile it does pop out of gear. I am not sure if this is a t20 problem or a chain interference problem. If anyone has had this problem before, please let me know what it could be! I don't want to tear the trans down to check internals unless its a last resort. Also, if this has been discussed before, I have not been able to find it on here. Thank you!

Hi Evan, welcome to the site.

I think it is time for you to do some good old fashioned troubleshooting. Start with the easy stuff first. Jack the machine up and put it on stands, then spin the wheels and watch the chains. Chain tensioning would be good advise at this point. If there is no bind with the trans in neutral, it probably is in your trans. My guess is it's loose/rusted chains binding up, but anything is possible.

Thank you for the advice. I went out today and when messing with chain tension, I noticed that the left side output shaft and the gear just below it were actually coming in contact and locking the whole side up. I was able to separate the gears enough to avoid future contact and my Max drives good in reverse now.

This may be unrelated to the reverse fix, but now when I'm in forward moving fairly quick it decides to pop out of gear. Can this be a chain tension issue, a band adjustment issue or something else? I am determined to get my Max running as good as possible before I take it out on any adventures and risk breaking something.

+ Reply to Thread