Max II Project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Max II Project

Looks like I got a dud bearing. It's got plenty of play within the outer housing of the bearing. I'll be taking it back soon.
    Had it out the other day; worked great ...for all of 5 minutes. It sputtered to a stop, and when I pulled the carb apart, I found a mound of red dirt in the bottom of the carburetor bowl. The gas tank was cleaned and the fuel lines are brand new, leaving the fuel pump as the culprit.

Do I need to pull my motor? My driver side rear outer bearing is too far gone for me to justify keeping it on. Looking at it, it looks like the motor will severely constrain the ability to get the eccentric off the inner bearing. How have yall tackled this?

Machine is great other than that. Texas got some rain last week, and the back yard was under 3 feet of water. You can probably guess where I was that day.
    Meep Meep

Pulling the motor makes it much easier and it really doesn't take too long to do. I think that's probably the best way to tackle the replacement of that bearing.

Try Buffalo bearing. Best prices EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksmore View Post
    Try Buffalo bearing. Best prices EVER.
    Yes, absolutely. Tons of forum members deal with Buffalo Bearing and they offer top notch customer service too. Their number is (716) 874-1720.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Sprocket Stuck on Axle

Had to cut the rear most driver side axle to get it out; the sprocket was stuck on. Heated it up red hot with the oxy torch and beat on it with a hammer, but it wont budge at all. Today, I took it to a buddy's shop, and his 20 ton press couldn't move it either, not even with 2 bernzomatic map gas torches to it. Tomorrow, I'm going to try taking the oxy torch to it while pressing it, but if that doesn't work, ill be buying a new axle and sprocket.
    Meep Meep

Probably a good time to get new sprockets anyway, most of these machines get pretty beat up from lack of maintenance and owner lack of knowledge.

I probably will get some new sprockets and axles. Ended up taking the stuck one into work and using a hydraulic press. Made some pretty bad noises from the metal separating, but came apart. Put the two halves of the axle into a piece of angle iron and welded it back together as straight as I could. It all went back together pretty nicely. I think I'm going to build a cover for it now so I can take it out comfortably in the rain and snow, that that'll be a project for another day. Just glad to have it back together and working. Thanks everyone for yalls' help.
    Meep Meep

Have been using the max to move my hustler from the back porch to the garage and back down again while I work on it. Went to pull it down tonight, but with the new chains on the machine and all the tires back on, and me forgetting to push the choke in once it was started, it struggled. Had my throttle most of the way down for a good 10 seconds right after starting it up, and was getting nowhere when a nice cloud of white smoke came billowing out of the back of the machine. Couldn't tell if it smelt like oil burning as I had just finished up doing a decent amount of welding and the smoke was lingering in the air. Shut the machine off, took a good look at it, checked my oil, which was clean and full, made sure I had compression in both cylinders via the pull rope, and started it back up with no issue. Any ideas as to why it smoked?
    Meep Meep

Quote Originally Posted by garrett1308 View Post
    Have been using the max to move my hustler from the back porch to the garage and back down again while I work on it. Went to pull it down tonight, but with the new chains on the machine and all the tires back on, and me forgetting to push the choke in once it was started, it struggled. Had my throttle most of the way down for a good 10 seconds right after starting it up, and was getting nowhere when a nice cloud of white smoke came billowing out of the back of the machine. Couldn't tell if it smelt like oil burning as I had just finished up doing a decent amount of welding and the smoke was lingering in the air. Shut the machine off, took a good look at it, checked my oil, which was clean and full, made sure I had compression in both cylinders via the pull rope, and started it back up with no issue. Any ideas as to why it smoked?
    Clean the spark plug and try it again
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

+ Reply to Thread