Max II Project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Max II Project

Pulled the spark plugs, they were clean as can be, no oil on them.
    The air filter is dusted with oil. When I first bought the machine, I noticed a puddle of oil in the pan of the air cleaner.
    Meep Meep

Got bored today. Ended up cutting apart an old trampoline and building a removable soft top. Does it look nice? No. But it does get the job done pretty well, and it should be very durable. Building the frame was pretty straight forward. For the top and sides of it, I used the mat from the trampoline, and used a butane torch to cut, well burn, the doors and windshield, and in doing so, cauterized the mat to prevent it from fraying and falling apart.
    I have a few zip ties holding the mat onto the top of the frame, and keep the doors and windshield from blowing around by clipping them to the 5/16 thread bolts that secure the lower tub to the upper tub.
    Meep Meep

Got bored today. Ended up cutting apart an old trampoline and building a removable top. Does it look nice? No. But it does get the job done pretty well, and it should be very durable. Building the frame was pretty straight forward. For the top and sides of it, I used the mat from the trampoline, and used a butane torch to cut, well burn, the doors and windshield, and in doing so, cauterized the mat to prevent it from fraying and falling apart.
    I have a few zip ties holding the mat onto the top of the frame, and keep the doors and windshield from blowing around by clipping them to the 5/16 thread bolts that secure the lower tub to the upper tub.
    Meep Meep

Check out this web site. Spiderwebshade.com

We use these on our Jeeps but it so happens that the one that fits my 97 wrangler tj also fits my Max iv perfectly. They are held on with what they call "spider balls". They are little bungie cords with the balls attached. The one that fits my Max is the tjkini.

Might have blown the 16 horse vanguard today. Finally got it adjusted right so after about 20 minutes of regular driving, I figured I' take it through the creek. Did not work out so well; motor died, and I ended up having to balance on the back of it to pull start it. It turned over and ran, but with hardly any power or speed; full throttle couldn't move the machine. Took the air cleaner off and saw plenty of white smoke (gasoline). The engine backfires when it gets turned over. Tomorrow, I'll tear into it to find out what's up, though an intake valve not seating for whatever reason is pretty high on the list.

What else would be a likely culprit or worth checking?
    Meep Meep

Check out this web site. Spiderwebshade.com

We use these on our Jeeps but it so happens that the one that fits my 97 wrangler tj also fits my Max iv perfectly. They are held on with what they call "spider balls". They are little bungie cords with the balls attached. The one that fits my Max is the tjkini.
    I'll probably end up picking one up soon, it looks like a driving garbage bag with the trampoline pad on it. Took it off a few weeks ago to avoid getting strange looks.
    Meep Meep

Tore the 16 horse down today. Had the intake push rod sitting loose in the galley, and the exhaust rod bent up but still in place. Replaced them both and set the valve clearances to .004 using a feeler gauge. Other side's valves were out of tolerance, so I reset them as well. It starts first pull now, idles just a little rough and runs terribly with the throttle opened up. Not long ago I went through the entire fuel system; cleaned the tank, replaced the fuel line and got a new fuel pump. Carb is clean and the jet in it is clear. Plenty of fuel in the bowl and the float is working correctly. Any other ideas?
    Meep Meep

Adjust valves to zero clearance, remove the spark plugs and roll over by hand checking for valve to piston contact. You may need solid push rods.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Adjusted both sides to zero. Checked to see if there was any contact. There was none. I sprayed the valves on the troubled side with a little wd-40. Now I can take it out for 15-20 minutes before it drops both rods. It does it on the same side that had the bent rods. Doesn't bend them now, just drops them loose. Has done this a couple of times now within the past day. Springs feel good and springy, and there doesn't feel like there's any play in the valves. What else is there to look for?
    Meep Meep

gummed up valves? may require removing head and cleaning valves and seats.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread