Max II Project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Max II Project

Max II Project

I picked up a max two the other day, its newer than 2003, but needs some work.

The drain plugs are missing, where do I pick two up at?

The passenger rear axle looks bent, or the outer bearing is frozen and worn causing and elliptical motion. What type of bearing should I replace it with and where do I get one?

It has a 14 horse power vanguard on it. A jet in the carburetor is stripped out and I can't get it out. Without messing it up any more. Is there a place where I could buy the jet at?

I found a 23 horse power vanguard for sale on craigslist that is decent. Would yall suggest I jump to that, or keep the 14 horse?

The machine is pretty solid, and I should have it on the trails in a few weekends. I plan on fabricating a front bumper to mount a winch to, and possibly something on the back to mount an outboard motor to.
    Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

What is the Vin number. Max quit using the 14 hp in 2000.

I don't have the vin with me, I'll post it over the weekend when I get back home. It has an aluminum throttle handle base. Wiring looks like it's been messed with, I wouldn't be surprised if the motor is not original to the machine.

Alright, got home earlier today and starting tearing it down. Vin is 18870. Top half is held above the bottom half. The axle looks straight, but the hub on the axle is bent 15 degrees. I have an oxy-torch and a hammer, and can make a jig to straighten the hub.
    Problem is though, is my eccentrics are stuck on the bearings. I removed the set screws and got a punch and a hammer, tapped it a little one way, then a little the other way and no movement. Kept doing it, harder and harder each time, but it doesn't want to come off. Inner one is the same way. Any tips, tricks or ideas on how to get them off?

Both the inner and outer bearings are bad, where do I order/buy new ones?

Carburetor jet is pretty stripped out now. While I was away, some one thought they'd try and help get it out, but it didn't work out too well for them. If I use an easy out to pull it, is there a place that would sell me a new jet?

I have pictures on the way, they I'll post them when they come through from my phone to my email.
    Thank yall.

For the collars, you can try using a pipe wrench on it. If that doesn't work, you can cut them with a cut-off wheel. Don't cut through your axle but when you get close to the axle, stop and hit it with a hammer and a punch/chisel. To purchase replacement bearings, your local bearing supply house can source them for you or you can order online through Mudd-Ox/Max Max6x6.com | Max Atv Parts | Mudd-Ox Atv. You should also be able to order a new jet online or at your local small engine shop.

Thank you very much for your reply Mike. Pipe wrench with a 5 foot leverage bar got the outer one off. Same set up freed the inner one, but it wont come off the axle now. I'll go ahead and grind it off tomorrow. Ill dig through the internet a little more to see if I can find a jet, I was just curious to see if yall knew of a good place online.

For the inner locking collar, since you have it free, you have a couple of other options. You can remove the nuts from the outer bearing flange and just pull the entire assembly out. Then you can more easily knock the collar off. You can also leave the outer bearing in place for now and use the axle as a slide hammer by pulling it out of the machine quickly and allowing the inner collar to strike the outer bearing. That will sometimes knock it off.

For the carburetor jet, you can go to any small engine website like Carburetors and Parts and you should be able to find it.

The Vin number shows to be a 2003

The sprocket is keeping the axle from sliding out of the tub; the locking collar that's frozen on the shaft doesn't let the sprocket slide off. I tried using the axle as a slide hammer, but the sprocket was getting beat on in doing so, and I don't really want to mess it up. Next weekend, I'll see if I cant get my hands on a bearing puller that'll weasel its way in-between the end of the shaft and the engine. If I can't though, I may just get a grinder and cut 80% of the way into the collar, and take a chisel to break it off. I'll post progress and put a few pictures up when I figure out how.
    Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

Had a chance to pull it all apart Friday. Took a grinder with a cutting disc and tore into the inner locking collar to free it. After that was off, I could get the sprocket tube off the axle and slide the axle out. Next I broke the hub off the axle which was crooked. Some one else had messed with it (welded it on funny), so I'll see if it's centered, and if not, I guess ill have a new hub CNC'd on a plasma table. The outer bearing's race was frozen on the shaft, and no amount of pb breaker and hammering broke it lose. Ended up cutting a line through it with the grinder till there was 1\32" of metal left of the race in the slot. A chisel and a hammer opened it the rest of the way up and allowed me to slide it off. Thanks for the suggestions on those mike, worked wonders!
    This Friday, I'll be heading over to a local bearing shop to pick up the two bearings, and afterwards, I'm going to a buddy's shop to do what I need to do to get the hub back on the axle right. If all goes well, then the machine will be ready to go pretty soon.

+ Reply to Thread