Adjusting chains on a Max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Adjusting chains on a Max II

I appreciate all the help, was there ever a max made without chain adjusters?
    I have looked at and studied the pics and i do not see any of those on my max

Not that I know of. That is strange. Do you see the holes where the adjusters would go? There should be two small holes in the frame on the top and bottom (four at each adjuster) where the adjuster should go.

I must have a older max. I have idler sprockets that get adjusted up or down instead of the actual chain adjusters that are pictured.

older max 2s have idler sprockets for adjusters on the axle chains they also use very small 40 chain
    they dont call me mad because im angry!!!!! im just a little crazy thats all!!!!

any idea what year maxs had these

id have to ask someone at ri to be shure but i know it was single cylender jlo engines from 69-mid 70's had the #40 axle chain with idlers. when they brought out the big max with the twin cyl engine they started to use #50 axle chain with slide adjusters. then sometime in the mid 70's they just made them all #50 axle chain.
    they dont call me mad because im angry!!!!! im just a little crazy thats all!!!!

it use to have the 295 jlo but was replaced with a 18hp

I just got a 1999 max ii I've already broke 2 chains does anybody know how much and what size chain I would need to replace them all

Willtx

Below is what I used on my 2000 Max II, Hope it helps, Been 37 hrs on the chain and no stretch yet. I am very happy with the chain and bearings.

Chains, MFG Supply
    Nomenclature
    5200-ring-102-w1-520 O-ring chain 102 pins $159.12
    520O-CL-W1 - 520 O-Ring Motorcycle Chain Connecting Link 5 $19.95
    530O-RING - 530 O-Ring ATV Chain. 182 pin 182 pin $89.18
    530O-CL-W1 - 530 O-RIng Motorcycle Chain Connecting Lin $19.95
    Total $288.20

Buffalo Bearing, 714-874-1720

Nomenclature Qty Price Total
    HC 207-20 R3 outer bearing 6 $17.44 $104.64
    SA206-20 Inner bearing 6 $13.07 $78.42
    PF207 outer bearing plate 6 sets $12.96 $77.76

There is more chains that need adjusted than I thought. Thought it was only the chains on the jack shaft, but i found out today that a couple of the chains are so loose that they are actually laying on the inside of the body. Wish i knew somebody that knew how to adjust all of the chains. I guess this is why i having popping noises and can't spin on a dime [/QUOTE]

I would recommend that you go with Snap Idle brand chain adjusters. They are a manually type adjusted floating tensioner, and you have to keep an eye on them after each ride. After you get some experience under your belt and start replacing things and building parts that work better, you can always make your own chain adjusters.

+ Reply to Thread