Adjusting chains on a Max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting chains on a Max II

Adjusting chains on a Max II

I have a Max II. This is the first 6x6 that i have ever owned. I don't even know anyone that has had a 6x6 before. So I rely on this wonderful board for all of my help. I had posted a message awile back about my Max making a poping sound when turning. I checked the chains that run all the way from end to end and they are tight, but the chains on the the t-20 are very loose. Could this be my poping sound when trying to turn? And if so how do i go about adjusting them?

Thanks,

Tim

P.S This is the best site ever

Quote Originally Posted by tim1jr View Post
    I have a Max II. This is the first 6x6 that i have ever owned. I don't even know anyone that has had a 6x6 before. So I rely on this wonderful board for all of my help. I had posted a message awile back about my Max making a poping sound when turning. I checked the chains that run all the way from end to end and they are tight, but the chains on the the t-20 are very loose. Could this be my poping sound when trying to turn? And if so how do i go about adjusting them?

Thanks,

Tim

P.S This is the best site ever
    Yes this could be and probably is your poping sound. The chains are skipping over the sprocket. My MaxIv did the same thing when it was new and had about three hours on the t-20 chains. Tighten them up so they have just a little play and you will be squared away.

I believe that the T20 manual in the articles section gives instructions: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...er-manual.html

Also, there are two T20 articles in the how-to section that detail this some. Check this one out. Just skip the part about actually taking the transmission out and the rest is the same: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/aatv-...tallation.html

Just take your floor pan / seat combination out and you can access everything.

I appreciate the help. It appears to me that the chains i am refering to are the jack shaft chains. I am still a bit confused, so what bolts do i need to adjust?

Did you look at the article I linked to? The pictures on the first page (pictures 6 through 10) show you which nuts to adjust along with a description of what they do. Read through that article and it should be clear: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/aatv-...tallation.html

Thanks Mike. I thought those was the ones but wanted to make sure.

No problem, yeah you are right, those are the jackshafts that you will need to adjust. When the chain is properly adjusted you should have 1/2" of total deflection of the chain (1/4" in up and 1/4" down). The key is to make sure that the jackshaft is level and parallel to the frame. Also make sure that the chains are running straight from sprocket to sprocket. Once it is, just make equal adjustments on the right and left nuts of each jackshaft.

It sounds complicated but once you dive in, it will be pretty self explanatory. If you have any problems just let us know.

There is more chains that need adjusted than I thought. Thought it was only the chains on the jack shaft, but i found out today that a couple of the chains are so loose that they are actually laying on the inside of the body. Wish i knew somebody that knew how to adjust all of the chains. I guess this is why i having popping noises and can't spin on a dime

I am still having trouble with the chains on my Max II

Would anyone have a picture of their max II without the top half on it. These chains are confusing to me. If i look in the engine compartment i see no chain adjusters only sprokets. The chains in the back of the max, the top part of the chain seems tight but the bottom part of the chain on each side is laying on the tub. I was wondering if anyone can instruct me on how to fix this?

Thanks,
    Tim

If you will look at that article that I posted above, there are several pictures that show the adjusters. In this picture http://www.6x6world.com/images/t20-s...-removal-4.JPG it is on the very right hand side of the picture; white in color. That is your adjuster. There are four total in the Max II. One for each front chain and one for each rear chain.

The front one is pictured above. You push it down to tighten the chains. The ones on the rear two chains will need to be pulled up to tighten the chains. Do all chain tightening with all 6 wheels up in the air. This way you don't have tension on just one side of the chains like you are talking about. When the transmission pulls the chains, one side will be tight while the other is slack.

Finally, I'm going to refer you to our How-To section once again. There is an article on Max II chain guides there: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...placement.html with plenty of pictures.

Also, try looking in the gallery. There is a search function there as well.

+ Reply to Thread