max iv help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: max iv help

Paging Joe Meg!
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thanks Drew,got it

Helo Jim,if this link works it's pg. 12 of sec. 6A of the service manual.

Kohler Engines: Owners and Service Manuals: Manuals and Maintenance
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 10-14-2015 at 09:04 PM.

The throttle cable connects to the "Speed Control Lever".

I'm most certain this is the spring.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-Magnu...item259d203e84
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 10-14-2015 at 09:16 PM.

govenor help on a max iv

well I don't know whats going on here I have posted twice today and cant find it or anything telling me I goofed up. but here I go again I have a 90,s max 4 with 20hp kohler magnum. I have only had the machine a week but it keeps running out of power when I climb hills or even try to cut a donut in the grass. the motor will flutter and act like its maxed out and going to quit. pull sticks to neutral and the motor will clear up and seems to be back to normal. I have put new plugs in it after gapping them. the machine starts easy and idles excellent. however the throttle works very hard and it uncomfortable so I took the air cleaner of to snoop around and found one of the governor springs unhooked and the remaining one so stiff that it hurts your hands after a few minutes of operating it. I took the springs off and the throttle cable is very free and easy to operate. I downloaded the service manual and both springs are extinct but iam still trying to cross them to another number . I have not done a compression test yet because I lent out my tester. I question is can I remove or bypass the governor as I feel it is limiting the out put of the motor. the plugs are burning nice and brown and the motor seems very smooth. any help with this situation will be awesome.

Helo Jim,pg. 12 of sec. 6A of the service manual shows the governor set up. there is only one spring.

I'm most certain this is the spring.

Kohler Magnu item259d203e84 | eBay

The throttle cable connects to the "Speed Control Lever".

Another mod that can be done is to install a Red Spring in the secondary clutch, if it doesn't have one. The red spring keeps the secondary (driven) clutch closed a bit longer, allowing the engine to rev higher, thus more power to the axles. Lowers top speed though. Check with the factory for the spring
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

thanks rusty iam very familiar with sled clutches and I know there is a lot of things to help it clutch wise. but from reading post this 20hp should take 4 people over any grade stock. iam giving up a lot of speed to try the max and I just want to be able to put it through what its designed for. the speed is ridiculous at best but I need to putter around on the farm and enjoy what this machine can do. I really like it but throttle and power is my issue and I hope to resolve it soon or I will sell it in the spring. iam use to 4 wheelers and sleds. iam getting older and I broke my leg jumpin snow banks 2 years ago with some younger fellas. and I rolled the grizzly on top of me out by my farm pond and I could not get it off and I was thinking for a few this was it for me. I kept trying to rock it and got it to roll over me. the smell of gas give me a little extra determination and here two weeks later iam still sore from it. the max should be much safer for my horsing around.

so joe is the governor and speed control lever the same. I think it is but iam not sure myself. thanks for reading I download the kohler site and saved it tomorrow I will try and get the model numbers off the motor. some are very faded.

hey joe I put the one spring back on the carb. it looks just like the one in the ebay link you guys give me. I stretched the spring a little to weaken it and the throttle now works easier and it also allows the governor to work which I believe is working almost normal so iam going to get another spring so I can keep tweeking this one. that way if I ruin it I will have another. took the front seat out and remounted it back towards the rear about 6 inches. I did this to give myself more room and to allow another full size passenger in the front comfortably with me. this person is about 6ft 3in and he is 340 lbs. we took the max out in the woods on my property to check game cameras and tool around a bit and it ran much better. it still has a problem past half throttle it starts to breakup. we rode it for over a hour had a lot of fun with it and I just kept it about half throttle and let the gov work. so I tried the same hill I had the issue with and she dogged out again but I did make it. I brought it home and pulled one of the new plugs and to me it is running lean. it has a walbro carb on it and there is only one jet that I can see and from what I see in the manual it is the idle air or idle fuel jet. I do not see a main jet to adjust to give it more fuel so that's where iam at the moment. but I had a awesome time with it today. when you hit the throttle its starving for fuel and is not responsive . whatever the issue it is just a short adjustment away. the max ran a lot better and idles awesome and had quite a bit more speed. it is also 30,s here today so iam not sure where iam going at this point. if I can adjust the carb I may replace it. I took down all the numbers I could get of the kohler tag and the model number of the tag on the dash of the machine. going to try and correlate those numbers into the kohler site and see if I can adjust that carb. keep the info coming I love it and you guys have been very helpful. I hope I can use these numbers to get the year of this machine. seeya
    jim waters

Have you cleaned the carb. yet? Junk in the bowl, tube or ports will affect a lot. under 3600 rpm will effect any climb or turn. Does sound as if you're heading in the right direction. If it has different holes for the gov. spring they need to be in the right place.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread