max iv help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: max iv help

max iv help

Hi everyone my name is jim and iam new as of today. I just traded a grizzly 660 for a max iv. I have had it a couple of days and am liking it more and more every time I use it. It's a 90,s model with a 20 hp magnum Kohler on it and I am at the point where iam looking for things to do on it to get more power from it. Last night I had it a few places were it just didn't have the power to climb certain hills. I have downloaded motor manual and am going to go through numbers to identify the machine correctly. Questions at this moment are what can I do to the clutching and with the oil sentry system on that motor will it make it cut out on a steep incline. When I tried to climb the hill in my story it sounds like iam losing one cylinder or the motor is loading up. Plugs look good and brown. My gas cap could be another issue it was broke and leaking so I put one on from a Skidoo snowmobile and iam not sure it's venting. And this tank was replaced with a plastic one which iam not sure if it's oem but looks to be. I definitely need to get more power from it even if I need to upgrade motor. Thanks can't wait for some input

Couple of basic things to check:
    1. Make sure you are pushing in the sticks and not relying on the springs to engage the transmission.
    2. Check your throttle cable and make sure it is getting full throw to wide open throttle.
    3. Check your band adjustment and ensure you have the correct amount of stick travel on each side.

A 20hp kohler is plenty of motor for a Max IV. There should be no need to replace it unless there is an issue with the motor itself.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

thanks drew. i will have to check into the band adjustment i know nothing about it. i just no with 4 people in it i cannot even spin it around without the motor acting like its getting overworked. i also have downloaded a service manual that i will be printing off and hopefully this will cover the topic you mentioned. i will also check into the throttle. it is not comfortable to lose and i have been looking at new cables for it. it works way more difficult then it should. i have owned every toy know to man except this max and i know the throttle is not right. iam just a rookie on this so i want to dig in and make it prime. the motor sounds great and i will do a comp test on it soon as i get my tester back from my son.
    thanks jim

Sounds as if a repaired throttle and proper rpm's may cure it.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I tried to hack something together for a throttle cable. I purchased a universal gocart cable. I didn't work very well. I then ordered a factory cable from a dealer and now it works like new. Don't waste your time, buy the correct part.

so I opened up the machine tonight and found the governor spring unhooked the throttle pulling maybe a whisker more then half open and the spring on the throttle was so stiff thats why my hand kept cramping up using it. so iam going to put a lighter spring on that. unhooked it all the throttle cable takes little or no effort to pull. also found the small tube coming from crankcase valve cover ripped and cobbed up with silicone. so I believe this will be a great start. also put new plugs in it that the motor manual said to gap at 35k the ones in it were way under that and the new ones were on the money did not have to touch them. so I adjusted the throttle cable travel and will heat shrink the breather tube tomorrow at work. the air filter and prefilter looked very clean. also this motor has the walbro carb on it. cant wait to try this out tomorrow night. taken her right back to that steep incline for another shot. as far as the band adjustment I looked that up and found out how to do it but am not going there quite yet.

body plugs

also got my body plugs from ebay today. they are the right ones but one of the holes is a little oversized so I need to think of something there.

seeya everone please keep making comment and all to help me. can anyone tell me if the newer units have changed a lot from this 90,s version in the way of seating and comfort at all.

Put a dime in the plug once the plug is in the hole.

There are only a few differences between your machine and a new one. The new ones have splined axles and sprockets. The T-20 support was upgraded in 2008. And the back seat was moved back 3 inches when they went to rectangular headlights around 2000. Non factory seat upgrades have been done to the front seat. Several members have pulled out the bench and replaced it with a suspension seat. It makes a huge difference!
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thanks drew good to know

drew do you no how the governor is suppose to work correctly and if the throttle spring be the same tension as the gov spring or vise versa. please chime in viewers. I went to lowe,s tonight after work and bought a weaker spring the same length . throttle works nice but gov spring is now heavier so it will not return to stop position when throttle does. I have to try and find info on this and maybe I can find the stock springs that belong in it. thanks everyone
    jim

+ Reply to Thread