Grease

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grease

Grease

Any remote greasing ideas for a maxIV. I am into a frame out, all new parts, rebuild. Is everyone taking all 6 wheels off after every mud hole to grease bearings??? Or is there something easier???

About every twenty hours of use the wife and I grease each bearing. We remove one wheel at a time to clean and squirt grease in the outer zerks.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

I don't remove my wheels. I use an angle head fitting on a rubber hose grease gun. I have no problems.

Hopefully I'm not jumping out of order but I had a few questions in regards to the greasing process. What type of grease are you using? I also noticed that mine shot grease past the seal after two pumps. I'm assuming I need to replace the seals? If so where's the best place to buy seals for a Max IV?

I use the grease they recommend for boat trailer bearings. I can't remember the name of it but I get it at the local parts house.

Thank you for the info, have you ever had the grease shoot past the outer seals? It doesn't seem normal to have it squeeze past the seal.

I use Marine grease. All my axles squirt grease out the seals. I've read the over-greasing causes this, so we stop squirting grease once the grease begins to come out.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

If I could jump in and ask a question about seals:
    I read on the board about some of you getting your bearings with the "r3" seal. Apparently this is a triple rubber seal - it seals out water better? Does it matter if your greasing regularly anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by brian19600 View Post
    If I could jump in and ask a question about seals:
    I read on the board about some of you getting your bearings with the "r3" seal. Apparently this is a triple rubber seal - it seals out water better? Does it matter if your greasing regularly anyways?
    Yes. No matter how many seals you have, it's still a good idea to grease on a regular basis. I grease after every other ride but only because my rides are 3-4 hours long through logging trails and I do push it through as much water as I can. Also you want to make sure your chains are greased. I don't go overboard on this. Just a nice coating is fine.

Thanks for the info rusty. I've Been crossing a fairly large lake every weekend and the seals concerned me with the extended water time. It's good to hear there's no concern!

+ Reply to Thread