2003 Max IV resurection

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 Max IV resurection

2003 Max IV resurection

Hi, I figured I would start a thread on the reassembly and repair to my new to me Max IV. I just purchased this unit from another forum member and I can't call this a restoration as the Max is in overall excellent condition, it just requires a few minor repairs and some assembly that I will document here and look forward to your input and criticism.

My new to me Max IV

1st order of business is to repair the T20 mount holes that have started to oblong.

I decided to go with 1/4" plate as that is what I had on hand, I will install slightly longer mounting bolts as well.

plates cut, drilled and test fitted

a few bolts and nuts to keep everything aligned while I weld it up

All welded in and painted

dropped the T20 back in to make sure all is well, looks good.

On to chains, a tensioner, motor mounts tomorrow. If I keep this pace up I should be out for a test ride this weekend.
    Last edited by Canadian_Zuk; 10-27-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks for sharing. The pictures do help with understanding what is being done.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Nice work. The T20 shouldn't go anywhere now.

Well, progress is being made. I had a minor setback on my first test drive out in the woods, a magnet came off the inside of the flywheel and rearranged the rest of the magnets and the stator lol. The stator parts were cheap enough, but the magnets are not available individually, I would have had to buy a new flywheel.

Upgrading to an external alternator was the most frugal solution. I found a 37amp 10SI style alternator for $80 from my local re-builder and cobbled an adjustable mount together. I'm still waiting on my Ebay PTO shaft to arrive so I can permanently bolt this down to the engine stand. It's not pretty but it will be effective and only took a few minutes lol.

The motor ran when installed, but not well. I removed and cleaned the carb 3 times in a heated ultrasonic cleaner, it improved greatly but still had a rough idle and ran lean. I kept looking for(expecting to find) a small bit of dirt or something clogging the main jet as all the rubber appeared to be in good condition upon disassembly and only the needle was a little sticky at the first cleaning. After 3 stabs at it I broke down and ordered a Kohler carburator repair kit, man oh man, $110 sure doesn't get you much from these guys (couple of O rings and screws) lol, not even a float or jet for that price! Regardless, it was money well spent as the 25HP motor is purring like a kitten now. During the rebuild, most of the rubber that appeared good at first inspection broke or cracked during removal to install the fresh O-rings.

I picked up 9 24" Argo tires from Kijiji last week as well and have them installed now, having 3 full size spares kicking around isn't so bad either.

Tracks are also all ready to go, just waiting on the axle extensions I ordered from Adair Argo to arrive.

Ugh, back to watching tracking number now, I need more parts to arrive
    Last edited by Canadian_Zuk; 11-11-2015 at 08:59 AM.

PTO shaft arrived.

I got.my alternator installed tonight

And goodies arrived from Adair, tracks on next week

Could you not mount the alternator straight to the PTO shaft and eliminate a lot of extra work or would it not spin up fast enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerlarry View Post
    Could you not mount the alternator straight to the PTO shaft and eliminate a lot of extra work or would it not spin up fast enough?
    Yes, the alternator wouldn't spin fast enough and it would probably be harder to fab a mount that kept the alt perfectly true to the PTO. The Pulley and V-belt setup is more forgiving with minor misalignments and also allows me to adjust the Alt speed. I was originally going to use a regular slotteed automotive adjusting bracket too but went with the threaded rod jacking setup instead. I did this so I could use a wide range of belt sizes, that way I have a better chance of finding replacements in a pinch.

10-4, kinda' figured that. You did a great job on fabbing the alternator mount!

I took the family for a short ride in the Max today and got a chance to get it wet for the first time in a local pond. It swims faster than I expected.

Nice build. Yes those Argo tires are awesome swimmers. I have a set on a Max2 and am always amazed how well they swim.

+ Reply to Thread