clunking sound

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: clunking sound

clunking sound

I am getting a clunking/popping sound from the rear end on hard left turns. Any ideas. This a 2000 Max IV with the Koller. Could this be the T-20's adjustment. I have read that they need to be adjusted with the a special tool. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I would check chain tension and the transmission mount bolts

Lift the machine off its wheels and check to see if the axle slides in and out of the body. I've had issues with broken eccentrics on the locking collars on the bearings.

I had a sound very similar, when going it was difficult to identify the source of it.
    Turned out to be (very) dodgy bearings. I would advise getting the wheels off to inspect the bearings.
    In my case, it was a chain slipping, due to a bust bearing that was allowing excessive movement of the axle. I originally tried to tension the chains but they were fine, it was the bearing that was the issue - it had completely disintegrated.

Also forgot to mention the sound on mine happened on turns, the sharper the turn the louder, so seems likely to be a similar issue.

check outer bearings. If one is shot axle can get sloppy and aggravated in turns, causing sprocket and chain misalignment and a popping noise.

It's probably what a few other guys here have mentioned; bad bearings or misaligned sprockets. It's worth checking our chains though to see if they are worn and stretched. I had an 02 max that did that, but the bearings and chains were all good and straight. I wound up finding that the sprocket was missing a few teeth, which caused the chain to get its outer lip up on the sprocket, and "pop" as it snapped back to center on the sprocket.
    Meep Meep

Thank you all very much. I finally got it in some mud (clay) and didn't hear anymore sounds. On the hard pack I do. I have it all cleaned up now and in the shop. My plan is to take out the floor panels and seats and check all the chains and engine/trans mounts. What are the concentrics? How do you post a video to this site. Any hoo I will post more as I get into it. I am sure I am going to have a lot more questions. There is only 72 hrs on this machine and from what I can see everything looks good. We shall see. Thank you again from Chris in Central Oregon.

I got the same sound from left rear, turning left. Primary chains were so loose, i could almost take them off the sprockets...tore max iv down, bearings needed replacing, but weren't so bad, not much movement in the axels

+ Reply to Thread