Brass Plumbing Fittings as Drain Plugs on Max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brass Plumbing Fittings as Drain Plugs on Max II

Brass Plumbing Fittings as Drain Plugs on Max II

Hello All,

I didn't like the idea of the little 'disposable' drain plugs that are designed for the Max, and wanted something more reliable and removable.

I have fitted brass compression tank couplers, with rubber washers and endcaps.

Compression tank couplers:Plumbsure Brass Compression Tank Coupler (Dia)15 mm | Departments | DIY at B&Q

Endcaps: Plumbsure Brass Blanking Capnut (Dia)15mm | Departments | DIY at B&Q

I discarded one of the nuts and the olive that comes with the couplers, and used a hacksaw to reduce the length (with the nut wound on, so you can use it to clean the thread from the cut).
    Then I drilled the drain holes slightly bigger, and fitted the couplers and end cap.

The idea is that the couplers stay in permanently, while the end caps can be removed to let water to drain out.

There are disadvantages, the coupler makes the hole slightly higher, so more water will stay in the Max, meaning it needs a bit more of incline to drain off any water that has accumulated.
    Mainly, though, is that the fitting sticks out of the bottom and seems vulnerable, even with removing some of the excess length. However, the fittings do seem to be robust and well secured.

When the Max is up and running, I can report on how they perform.

What does everyone reckon? Is it a silly idea, will they just get ripped straight out?
    If anyone wants pictures, I can post.

Interested to hear your feedback.

I think your results will depend whether you do demanding off roading or just trail riding and occasional pond splashing. If you are one to go into the swamp and deep mud tracks with extreme angles of climbing out, then the extension beyond the body line will be susceptible to damage. Even if the fittings are robust, the weak area is going to be the plastic that surrounds it. I've seen other folks attempt this type of application only to see the drain plugs ripped out of the plastic.

I think a better way to go is to purchase the Argo drain plug assembly and install it in your machine. The Argo plug screws into the mount and is almost flush fitting. The Argo assemblies that I have installed on several Max2s and Max4s are still intact several years after the install, and after many extreme rides are still undamaged.

These are the best in my opion. Boat plugs, they can be adjusted quickly for more or less grip in the hole and are low enough profile that they don't get dislodged in the rough stuff. Around $5 each

Although it's nice you guys are looking for alternatives, there is nothing wrong with the originals.
    Of the alternatives I've seen, I like the Argo Avenger-type the most. But I'll use the plugs I have on hand.
    Good luck guys, I hope it all works out for you.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

The copper fittings could hook onto a root and rip you a bigger hole��I am going to be fitting boat drain plugs, these fit flush and easy to drain in seconds,��

+ Reply to Thread