The pig

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The pig

Bigger is better in most cases. You won't be hurting for acceleration or ground torque with the smaller tires, but will give up valuable ground clearance and water speed/buoyancy

Quote Originally Posted by Murphyslaw View Post

This will be used in trails and not see allot of mud or water.

If you don't Need 24's on your car you don't Need 26's on your machine if you have no intention to mud (unless you want to climb downed trees ( not branches)), 22's ride much better and will essentially keep the machine geared lower for more power.

I run 22's for years (on an Argo) and don't like the 26's stiff ride or the 25's bounce, but for going to Busco to intentionally get stuck, bigger is better for less stuck. The 25's ride is less shocking than the 26's in the Buffalo.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I have a 2005 Max IV. It uses 530 chain. I tend to think they all did. I read here that some modified theirs to use 60 chain. Perhaps yours was modified? (Of course I could be completely wrong)
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

When I called recreative Industries the guy I spoke too said that the older machines like mine used #60 and the newer ones including the buffalo use 530. He couldn't confirm that I could use 530 chain would work in my machine but when I asked what was the difference in the pitch from the old style sprockets to the new ones he said that to his knowledge they were the same. But I might want to check on this web site.

If your machine used 60 chain then 530 will not fit. You would have to use 60 chain or replace all sprockets to use 530 chain.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

When I called recreative Industries the guy I spoke too said that the older machines like mine used #60 and the newer ones including the buffalo use 530. He couldn't confirm that I could use 530 chain would work in my machine but when I asked what was the difference in the pitch from the old style sprockets to the new ones he said that to his knowledge they were the same. But I might want to check on this web site.
    I think he probably said, or meant to have said #50.

Ok. So I think I have this figured out. When I bought this max I was told by the owner that it used #60 chain but 530 would work on it. He even gave me 20 foot of new #60 chain. so I just took him at his word. He DID have about a dozen 6x6s laying around.

So after pulling the sprocket and some chain that was still on the machine I quickly found that it is in fact 530 throughout the machine. So problem solved.

Next I pulled the ignition and it does have 5 pins on the back. So any help on finding a key for this would be appreciated.

Next question:
    This max has 5 hollow axles and one solid. I am assuming the solid axle must have been to replace a damaged one.

So...I'm thinking about using what's in it for now but maybe getting one more solid axle putting them wher the machine is most prone to bending axles.

My question is where should I put the solid axles first? I would think the front would be the most vulnerable. Is this correct?

What bends? Is the axle tube itself? Or is it the hub?

The older machines with through bolts used 60 from the trans to the jackshaft or rear sprocket, the II's started with 40 elsewhere, later 50. I never owned a bolted IV so that chain could be either 50 or 60 ( should be obvious), the later machines used 530 and 520 oring chains.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

My question is where should I put the solid axles first? I would think the front would be the most vulnerable. Is this correct?

What bends? Is the axle tube itself? Or is it the hub?
    I would just keep it as a spare until you need it. As soon as you put it on the front, you'll slide the rear into a tree or land on the center axle and bend it instead.

Does the axle bend or the hub?

+ Reply to Thread