The pig

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The pig

The pig

Hi. New to the forum. So... This will be my build thread. Got the name from my two boys. When I brought home this max iv they said it looks like a pig from angry birds because of the snub nose and round lights. So far the name has stuck. Not exactly new to 6x6s. Years ago I had an old Argo and a swamp fox. I didn't have them very long and don't know much about them other than they were allot of fun. As this post goes on ill tell more about my self.

So me and my boys (10 and 11) now have a 91 max iv that is our new project. Been doing as much research as I can but have a few questions.

I know my max is a 91. I called RI to confirm the year. #9201. I have a 18hp vanguard and they said that was an option for that year.

I'll ask one question at a time.

Question:
    My machine uses the smaller bearings. 62mm. On the inner bearing it has the flanges to hold the bearing. I see some use this set up and some use inner pillow block. Is there an advantage from one to the other? Did this machine use both set ups? At one time or another. Or did just the max 2 use the pillow blocks.

MaxIV used flanges on the inner bearings. Many were not greasable on the inner and require replacing the flanges to get the relube option. I have started using Argo inner flanges as they seal better and force the grease into the bearing. Max flanges were clipped off top and bottom a bit more than the Argo ones.

I guess I should mention that the machine does not run or drive. It needs a total rebuild. New chains. Bearings. Inner and out. New tires. I need to go through the motor. Wiring. Axles. And so on.........

The good. The body is in excellent shape. And is complete. Frame is rusted but solid. Will make a great father and sons project.

Is there a reason I shouldn't use the original flanges. I'm trying to keep cost down until it is up and running. Then I will be "upgrading" it one step at a time. But I don't want to do things twice if I can help it.

will the original set up be sufficient or is this something that must be upgraded right away.

And then next question:

Where can I get a new key or a new ignition assembly. I was told originally that a key from a riding lawn mower would work but its not the same.

First is the old switch 5 poles and the new one six?

While the old flanges will probably be OK if not wallowed, the main reason for putting greasable flanges is to extend bearing life ( saving money a d work) however if the new bearings are not greasable or you don't mind doing them again sooner, you could use the old flanges.

Pillow blocks were not standard on any max I recall.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Pull the ignition switch and see if it has a letter stamp or sticker. Most of the older ones with that switch used "A" keys. Same as mid 90 polaris snowmobiles by letter. I you can post a pic of the back of the switch I probably have a number for a replacement.
    As Jim said greasable inner bearings are nice but I tore down a 95 this summer with non lube inners and they were still rolling.

The Pig? Cool enough. Ours is the Turtle.
    I enjoy reading up on other's rebuild threads. I learn from them each time it seems.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Hey Murph, I'm almost done with my max IV rebuild....pretty sure I'd have problems without the help of all the guys/gals on this forum so, keep on it. Lot of good resources and info....I Replaced all the chain, in and out bearings, some of the sprockets and a new clutch w/ red spring. I'm about to start rewiring everything...

Thanks for the info. I have no idea that I could use Argo carriers. I'll defiantly check into that. I think for now I'll use the original carriers just to keep cost down and get this thing up and running. The carriers that are in this one have grease zerks. So I think they will do for now.

I'll pull the ignition in the next day or two. Thanks for the help on that also.

Next question:

Is there any reason I can't use 530 chain instead of #60? I can get 530 o-ring or 530 standard RK heavy duty chain at an insane price. As much as I want.

Then one more question:

My goal is to first get this thing usable. It came with 22 inch tires on non bead lock 8 inch rims.
    26 inch tires on 12 inch rims look to be around $1500. And that is the goal eventually. But for now I can get 22/11/8 mud Terrain tires for a very low price. $26 a piece.

So the question is am I whasting my time and money on throwing 22s back on. All the videos on line look to have big tires and get around great. How do 22 compare? Who uses 22s? Am I greatly restricting my mobility by staying stock size.

This will be used in trails and not see allot of mud or water.
    Last edited by Murphyslaw; 02-01-2016 at 03:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread