Sealing the Max IV with synthetic bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sealing the Max IV with synthetic bearings

Nice. The extensions for the zerks in the original pressed steel flanges are plain clever.

Thanks guys
    We set the frame in the tub last night so I can get started putting her back together.
    I'm sure I will have some more stupid questions before this is over with.
    I've been tuning on some drain plugs also. Will get some pics posted.

Another question, The way I set it up with the double nuts seems like just an extra step.
    Do you guys think I could just use the lock nut on the outside of the cage? The UHMW fits
    tight up against the face of the flange. It would sure make it easier to remove in the future.

And you thought I was kidding about stupid questions!
    Those nuts have to be there to hold the bearing tight in the flange so I can tighten the locking collar.
    I've thought about this for over a month and new dang well they had to be there!
    I'm chocking it up to a brain fart of a senior moment.

Well I got the synthetic bearings on over the weekend. Everything bolted up nicely, waited a day and hit all the zerts with grease. The UHMW sticks out 3 1/2" from the tub except for the middle which is 3/16" further out. I did that for mounting a rail for running tracks. I will never use tracks but if I sold it for some reason the new owner could make them and not have to use a spacer on the middle axle. It looks like I will have to sell or trade the accessories that came with the max ( roll cage, windshield, rear storage rack, top set and tracks )

I made some rubber drain plugs for the max. I found some expansion plugs at the hardware store in town. Thought they would work but the lever wouldn't expand them enough and the stuck out from the tub to much. I wound up running a 1/4" carriage bolt through it and made a lower profile wing nut.
    Still not completely happy with it I stuck a 8-32 T-nut in the other one, it mounts a lot closer to the tub now, nothing to catch on.
    It came with some of factory drain plugs ( 2nd pic. on the bottom ) how well do these seal? Just wondering if I'm over thinking this.

Been using expansion plugs with a regular wing nut for many years. Haven't tore one out yet.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Thats good to hear tbone9. I think you would have to slide off a clump of grass, dirt or log just right in order to rip one out.
    I started installing the chains and decided to make a tool to pull the two ends together. Nothing new here but thought I would
    post what I did. Used a cheap pliers that I had laying around, locked it in the vise and drilled it out in steps to fit the roller on chain.
    It also worked to pinch the master link side on and set the clip. I know nothing new!

I also came up with a tool to tighten the chains. I used the 2x2 before and it worked fine, just a little awkward for me. This was just going to be a prototype but it worked so well
    I'll just round off the edges and toss it in the tool box. I just used 2 links from an old tire chain, cut it to size drilled the piece of oak and pressed it in the other end I formed it around the chain.

Well it's all back together and working great! All the pond are frozen here, will be a at least a month.
    The tub sagging pretty bad so before I had it back together I ran a high lift jack from the frame to the roll cage
    and heated it very carefully with a weed burner and let it set overnight, worked great.

You can see where the front tire had rubbed on the tub.

This is what it looked like when I brought it home, unfortunately everything you see will have to go (not the winch) because of storage restrictions. Has a set of tracks and tires also. I will post for sale soon.

Nice work on the machine. The only thing I suggest is to switch over to the Argo screw in drain plugs, they tuck out of the way and are protected by the skid plate.

+ Reply to Thread