Replacing drive belt?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacing drive belt?

Replacing drive belt?

Hello,

I am sure I have seen an article somewhere on how to replace the drive belt, but can't find it now.
    Does anybody know of one, or can anybody give me any tips?

Thanks.

What Max do you have? A II or IV? If it's a II, you will loosen the bolts holding the engine in place as well as the bolts on the bumper that keep the engine mount from sliding forward. Once you do that, you can slide the engine towards the transmission to allow for the belt to come off. If it's a IV, you may have to lean the engine over to make it easier to remove. Some people just work the belt off the clutches but it's a little more difficult to do so.

I have a II.

Thanks for the reply, will do that.

I also have a MAX II and want info on how to replace drive belt

I have read the "operators manual" and "searched it" and found no information other than inspecting the drive belt and the recommendation to replace it every two years. I have also searched the web and youtube and found next to nothing. I looked to this forum and find another user asking the same question. If there is another post on this forum in another thread, a link would be appreciated. I will try the previous suggestion, but thought that there might be a RI or similar set of instructions. Many thanks!
    Last edited by hipowerone; 04-10-2016 at 01:25 PM.

If you can take the driven clutch on the trans and squeeze it open (apart) and have a small piece a off wood to slip in between the haves to keep it open. This way the belt will be free enough to slip off the motor drive clutch. Just Watch your fingers as the driven clutch has a pretty good size spring in it !

Quote Originally Posted by hipowerone View Post
    I have read the "operators manual" and "searched it" and found no information other than inspecting the drive belt and the recommendation to replace it every two years. I have also searched the web and youtube and found next to nothing. I looked to this forum and find another user asking the same question. If there is another post on this forum in another thread, a link would be appreciated. I will try the previous suggestion, but thought that there might be a RI or similar set of instructions. Many thanks!
    There is a Max operators manual on the home page of this website in the manuals section that details how to properly adjust/replace your belt: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...v-manuals.html

Hello,

I have replaced my drive belt now by sliding the engine forward.

However the new belt (matched by local firm) is about an inch or so longer than the belt I have taken off.

If anything, I was expecting it to be slightly smaller due to old one stretching.

The new belt is officially 44 7/8 long, and is the right width.

I have slid the engine back as far as I can but new belt still seems a little loose.

What should I do? Replace the belt, or is it fine that it's longer or is there some quick fix?

Many thanks.

Sounds like you need to replace the belt. How did you get the new belt? Did you match model numbers from the previous belt?

Just ordered two belts and the red spring from Mud ox the original belt # on mine was a 15252 but that was with the the 14 hp Vanguard engine.Not sure if yours would be the same but it does say for B&S or Tecumseh. Just followed Mikes instuctions and came off easy.

Gone back and double checked, the belt my supplier said was right is actually 46 11/16 long (should be 44 7/8, right?)

I could swap for a 44 5/8 long but 1 1/5 wide (should be 1 3/16?)

Lengthwise presumably that would be fine, just slide the engine back a little less, but what would the extra width do? Affect the gearing slightly (which way, does anyone know?) or just not work?

My problem is that I'm a UK owner, so getting the official belt cost stacks on international delivery.

Would appreciate anyone's knowledgeable replies, sorry for asking so many novice questions.

+ Reply to Thread