94 max II Project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 94 max II Project

94 max II Project

94 Max II 18hp Briggs.

I bought for $1000. Needs tires and some tranny work.
    Replaced the fluid and set the bands, it drives fine. ;D

Currently the rims were badly rusted so I got a friend to powder coat them this weekend for $100.
    New rawhide III's await the rims.
    Pulled the motor because the starter has trouble spinning the motor, throw-out bearing bad. Or ding new one tomorrow with a new solenoid.

Removed exhaust restrictor rings, ordering the 2 barrel carb tomorrow as well.
    New fuel lines and filter, new fuel pump.
    Would like to upgrade te muffler to something that sounds less like a lawn mower.
    Any suggestions?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

With the Max II, you have several options. Any muffler that will physically fit under the left side of the body will work. You can use a Thrush style muffler for a louder sound or you could do away with the external muffler and go with a quieter internal muffler found on the newer Max IIs. I went with the internal muffler on my Max II but also had to add heat shielding. The benefit was that it allowed me to run larger tires without any issues.

Alright I'll look into making an internal muffler. I think it really just looks much better. Do you have any photos of your setup?

Also, I just got my starter and solenoid wired in and replaced the engine into the max, but new problem.
    The clutch on the t-20 has a slight wobble to it, and my throttle cable is very shotty.
    What parts would I need to mess with and/or replace for the clutch on te trans? I've never had one apart before and don't want to ruin it D:
    And what's a good cheaper throttle cable to buy? I guess I don't want the expensive heated one, I'd rather just pump a little antifreeze through it if possible.

**Update**

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg**Update**

Got rims sandblasted and powder coated today, guy only charged me $100. Did a good job.
    Getting them mounted tomorrow. Then clutch work, new throttle cable, then hopefully good to hit the lake?
    Last edited by Rabbit929; 03-31-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Added attachments

Just a little advice. Sounds like you are gonna use your Max for fishing a lot such as I do. Remember when you are treading water around stumps just under the surface if you catch one with a tire that is spinning 20 mph and you're actually moving at 4 mph it may try to buck you right out of the seat and possibly tip and take on water. Guess how I know this lol. It turned out ok but all my minnows spilled and wound up under the sub floor.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

$100 is cheap enough for the wheels. They look good. For the wobble on your clutch, it can sometimes be from a bent shaft. The slight wobble won't hurt anything. For the throttle cable, just order one from the factory 6x6 Parts- ATV parts You don't have to get the heated version. On the internal muffler, here is a photo of mine:

Check your clearances.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

i guess I'm not to concerned for stumps, I'm more concerned for the black dirt mud qualities we have in North Dakota.
    It tends to make play dough which can be tough to play in and quite sticky, but I do plan to play in the reservoir lake a lot. Which is a large lake which is why I'm gonna rig up a spare battery and trolling motor for backup with a bilge just in case everything goes south. Lol

As for the clutch, I don't think it's the shaft, the clutch seems to wobble on the shaft by hand side to side.
    When I get home I'll pull it off and see what I got. I heard there is bushings for these driven clutches?
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit929 View Post
    As for the clutch, I don't think it's the shaft, the clutch seems to wobble on the shaft by hand side to side.
    That side to side wobble is more than likely an internal transmission issue. A little bit (1/8" or so) isn't that bad and almost all T-20s with any time on it will have some of it. The problem usually stems from the thrust washers spinning on the center plate and wearing the center plate. It can be remedied, but you'll have to pull the transmission and split the cases to see just how bad it is. It's not a horrible job, just a little time consuming.

The shaft doesn't appear to move, it's about 1/8in slide back and forth of the driven clutch on the shaft. Maybe it's just loose?

+ Reply to Thread