older max flanges

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: older max flanges

older max flanges

Now I noticed I have 1 flange on the outside and one the inside of 5 axles. the other axle has 2 flanges on out side and one on inside. I guess what I'm asking is how does the set up go on each axle. Do you need to change flanges every time you work on axle. Is there a big advantage to flanges with grease zerts if you use sealed bearings.

I'm not te most expirienced member here, but I do believe both flanges are supposed to be on the outside.

The flanges wrap around the bearing and cradle it. (On the outside of the tub)
    I I'm not mistaken, I think all the outer flanges have grease zerks, the ones that don't most likely had them broken off. (Like 3 of my old ones are)

Also, you want to have grease zerks to purge the bearings of water. Naturally water WILL find its way into a bearing one way or another, so every so often purge it with water resistant marine grade grease to keep them running smoothly.

It sounds like your machines had a couple improper bearing jobs done maybe?

Rabbit929 has lead you down the right path. Check out the Max bearing replacement how-to for a video showing the bearings and flanges: How to Replace 6x6 Bearings

It is recommended to change flanges each time you change the bearings because the flanges will form to the bearings themselves when properly installed but a lot of people just reuse them. Even new flanges are tough to get seated properly where they will consistently supply grease to the bearing without leaking out around the bearing instead.

If you think the flanges were bad, you should see what else
    they worked on. thanks for the info

+ Reply to Thread