Engine Upgrade - MaxII

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine Upgrade - MaxII

Engine Upgrade - MaxII

I just replaced the 16HP Tecumseh engine in my 1990 MaxII. I used a 23HP v-twin predator engine from Harbor Freight. It bolts right on with out any modification and the belt lines right up. I had to re-route all the controls but that was easy. I also moved the choke knob from the dash down next to the gear shifter. For two reasons one to make the cable routing a straight shot and two so I didn't have to disconnect it when I took the top half off. The engine is super smooth and has lots of power.
    Attached Images

jared, thanks for the report. glad it fit and runs good. keep us posted on the continued performance, etc. thanks, johnboy va.

Im seriously considering one for my Max IV. Im very curious how yours does. Please keep us posted. Thanks

Any idea of top speed ? I need to out run a golf cart lol.

Is that not the exhaust routed forward? How can the motor breathe?

In the picture the exhaust is mounted forward. Here is an updated picture with the modified exhaust pointing to the rear. I haven't been able to get a top speed report yet. However, the increased power is very noticeable. Out the door the motor was under $700 and it just bolts right in. The motor is a Honda clone so I don't foresee any issues. All the online reviews have been very positive for this motor. I plan on taking it out this weekend to get a solid report on the speed and functionality of all the upgrades I have done.
    Attached Images

Pardon the ignorance. Why cant you cut the exhaust manifolds equidistance and flip the exhaust upside down. Then weld the tubes back together? Can you just flip the exhaust without cutting? Ive been eyeing this motor for my Max and had assumed thats what could be done.

Yes you could do it that way too. There are two other brackets that have to be cut off and redone as well. Then there are the welded on nuts that the heat shield screws into. I thought that cutting it apart would be easier so that I wouldn't have to worry about lining everything up again. I think it is a push either way. If I had it to do over again I would still cut the muffler apart. It still sounds the same as it did before.

10-4. Still interested in updates on performance or any issues. It is one of those deals that is hard to pass up! Thanks

+ Reply to Thread