Max IV axle video

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max IV axle video

Max IV axle video

I've seen the videos on the max 2 axle and bearing removal but there not even close to my 2000 max 4 setup. I get the idea but is there anything out there, as far as a video and tips for my max IV. Shafts are splined and yes it has the snap rings. I'm trying to remove all 6 axles. 2 days in and I have the front 2 hanging out of the tub, I'm trying to remove the break disk and sprocket which seem to be one piece.

You might need to check the end of the axle to make sure the bolt has been removed from the axle on the back side of the inner bearing. I did need to use a hammer to help jar my axles loose on my 2004 Max IV, but for the most part it is just like doing it for a Max II.
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

Another thing to check is the set screws may be doubled up. Take them all the way out of the sprockets and squirt penetrating oil in then pull the axel in and out kind of like a slide hammer to jar the sprockets loose.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

The bolt is out and set screws are out. There are no set screws that I can find on the brake drum and sprocket just the c clips on the shaft

i have had good luck with my air hammer with a blunt point to get mine off the first time and then plenty of anti seez when reinstalling, just work it in and out applying pb blaster from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Delduck View Post
    I've seen the videos on the max 2 axle and bearing removal but there not even close to my 2000 max 4 setup. I get the idea but is there anything out there, as far as a video and tips for my max IV. Shafts are splined and yes it has the snap rings. I'm trying to remove all 6 axles. 2 days in and I have the front 2 hanging out of the tub, I'm trying to remove the break disk and sprocket which seem to be one piece.
    I just replaced a front axle on my Max IV a few months ago. My rotor and sprocket are 2 separate pieces, the rotor was free floating and the sprocket had set screws. The new replacement axle was a C-clip axle and I left both the rotor and sprocket floating between the clips (no set screws), I also had to face the rotor hub a few thou in order to expose the C-clip groove enough for the clips to seat.

The manual section on the home page of the forum has Max axle replacement instructions: Max ATV Manuals

We're going to be removing the rear axles soon on our M-IV. The advice to squirt penetrating oil into the set screw holes is a good idea. I'll be sure to do this.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Delduck... Did you get the front axles out?

We are now going to remove the right front axle on our 2005 M-IV tomorrow. The outer bearing is bad. Any other advice?

We are also doing the middle right side axle as well. There is a tiny bit of movement.

I hope the inner bearings are fine on both. Our new inners have not arrived yet.

Edit... I did read through the axle section of the manual a bit ago (I printed them out last year). It doesn't seem too differcult, but advice is always welcome.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 05-30-2016 at 04:32 AM.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

We have been extremely busy with work so I'm loading the max up and taking it over to a mechanic that works on our tractors. The bad part is its planting season the good part is the mechanic has a world of knowledge about chain drive systems. With this being said I'm turning this nightmare over to him, I told him just try to save the axles. Lol

+ Reply to Thread