Diamond shifter lube

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diamond shifter lube

Diamond shifter lube and axle work...

Hi. My wife and I are fixing our M-IV today. I noticed both diamond shifters were stuck. We got them out easy enough. It did the same last year, after sitting all winter in storage.
    I used ATF fluid as lube last year, and the shifter 'froze'.
    Well, can I use marine grease to lube the diamond shifters?
    I ask because its not wise to mix oil with the trans fluid, and grease is made from oil. Oil ruins the brake band liners.
    What do you all use to lube the shifters? Thanks.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 05-15-2016 at 04:06 AM.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

After every long ride when I spray the machine down with water, I usually spray WD-40 everywhere including in the diamond shifter barrels. I don't know if that's the right thing to do but it's what I've been doing for years without any problem.

Thanks, Mike. I'm thinking a small bit of grease won't hurt. Besides, its up in the diamond shifter (barrel, you call it).

In any case, we got the rear righthand side axle removed. We're changing out the sprocket tube, and bearings. The tube is worn out and freewheels on this axle.
    We expect to remove the left rear axle tomorrow and replace bearings and sprocket tube as well.
    It wasn't very differcult, just took a bit longer than I thought. A steel splinter in the thumb was a bit annoying, but tweezers took care of that.

I got the inner bearing and c-clips off the axle, but the outer bearing is stuck.
    I cleaned out two small holes on a thick outer ring. I removed one set screw. The smaller hole looks like a deep dimple (?). I don't see a set screw.
    I assume this is the hole to rotate this thick ring with a punch, as seen in Mike's video.
    Silly thing, I don't own a punch, nor a hammer (it got lost many years ago).
    Is this hole the punch hole?
    We are making very good progress for our first time doing this on a Max.

That's exactly what it is. Sounds like you are on the right track. Try loosening it in the same direction as if the axel were traveling forward. Then when going back together tighten it in the opposite direction.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Thank you Tbone9. I'm on the right track. I'm goinf to soak it qith Liquid Wrench a bit first, then tap on it.

The lock collar ring is stuck, it won't rotate in either direction. I used Liquid Wrench penetrating oil. Tapped on it a bit. Then a lot. And then a lot harder. It won't move. It hates me.
    I squirt more Liq. Wtench on it. I'm gping to let it soak all night.

That's pretty typical. Just pull the axel out with the outer bearing on then you can fight it out where you can get at it. Best way I've found is put it in a press. Some guys will split it with a good chisel. Good luck.

I got the axle out of the Max easy enough. I will give it another punch effort tomorrow. I'm hoping I won't destroy the lock ring, since I don't have a new one on hand.
    Thanks for the advice.

The new bearings should come with new collars?

+ Reply to Thread